S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

anyone regret the catback exhaust they bought?

Old 02-26-2012 | 04:05 AM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

love my fuji in every way.
Old 02-26-2012 | 06:36 AM

Based on the design of the muffler, I would assume the Tanabe Touring exhaust would be quiet.

You can be sure most round canister type mufflers will drone. The only exception is the Greddy SE, which will drone with larger mufflers.

I would look in to Spoon's new single outlet Sports Exhaust (NOT N1). It has a hemholtz chamber, mid pipe resonator, and larger oval muffler. It is designed for optimal sound for street driving conditions. Piping begins at 60mm and smoothly transitions to 70mm. This is a lighter option as well.

For ultimate in light you always have the Amuse Titan Extra-S (s for silent).
Old 02-26-2012 | 08:20 AM

They do have the fujitsubo Legalis Super Ti which is the exact same design and construction as the regular legalis R but its made entirely out of titanium but costs around 1500$-2000$. The q300 to me always sounded ricey/boomy and those square canisters look like turd on any of the s2k bumpers.
Old 02-26-2012 | 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
I bought a Q300 in June last summer and I really want to get rid of it. I just really want an exhaust that sounds bearable with a test pipe and the Q300 is not that exhaust. It has insane amounts of drone and rasp with the tp. I'm actually about to reinstall the stock cat because it sounds so ricey. Volume isn't an issue with me, but how it sounds really matters since it's my dd. Plus I'm tired of being called a ricer lol

I'm curious as to what version q300 you have that had drone.

I'm looking at the q300 v4 and pretty much every video I've seen the exhaust is everything I want with no drone.
Old 02-26-2012 | 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by InTheZone
Originally Posted by OVER 9000!' timestamp='1330247182' post='21452009
I bought a Q300 in June last summer and I really want to get rid of it. I just really want an exhaust that sounds bearable with a test pipe and the Q300 is not that exhaust. It has insane amounts of drone and rasp with the tp. I'm actually about to reinstall the stock cat because it sounds so ricey. Volume isn't an issue with me, but how it sounds really matters since it's my dd. Plus I'm tired of being called a ricer lol

I'm curious as to what version q300 you have that had drone.

I'm looking at the q300 v4 and pretty much every video I've seen the exhaust is everything I want with no drone.
video doesn't represent the real sound. despite the vendor claims nearly no drone, i have heard EVS 70-SSP exhaust in person and it drones badly.
Old 02-26-2012 | 01:12 PM

Drone cannot be identified in a video.
Old 02-26-2012 | 01:30 PM

I've got a Q300 with a test pipe and I have no idea what these guys are talking about. You must be driving your car wrong if your getting drone with your Q300. The ONLY time I get drone is if I'm in 6th gear, flooring it up a hill at 30mph, the car is at like 2500rpms and then yes, theres some boomy drone. I have an easy fix for you, downshift.. Or get off the throttle.

I had an HKS Hi-Power with resonator delete, and that thing was loud, boomy and ricey sounding, gave me headaches and wasn't a fan of it at all. So I sold it for a super quiet exhaust, the Remus exhaust. Big beautiful tips, and actually a deeper exhaust note similar to the stock exhaust. I really liked this exhaust but I decided I wanted something with bigger piping and louder.
So I bought the Q300 and couldn't be happier, the tips look great, I loved the "Invidia" at the center piece that you could see from behind.

My only complaint with the Q300 is that it's apparently the only exhaust that doesnt fit the Forbidden-USA J's style diffuser, but that's a different matter (just a little rubbing, its ok )

And the guy that had the melting plastic piece is running the single version of the Q300, mine gets no where near the plastic piece with the duals.
Old 02-26-2012 | 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
I've got a Q300 with a test pipe and I have no idea what these guys are talking about. You must be driving your car wrong if your getting drone with your Q300. The ONLY time I get drone is if I'm in 6th gear, flooring it up a hill at 30mph, the car is at like 2500rpms and then yes, theres some boomy drone. I have an easy fix for you, downshift.. Or get off the throttle.

I had an HKS Hi-Power with resonator delete, and that thing was loud, boomy and ricey sounding, gave me headaches and wasn't a fan of it at all. So I sold it for a super quiet exhaust, the Remus exhaust. Big beautiful tips, and actually a deeper exhaust note similar to the stock exhaust. I really liked this exhaust but I decided I wanted something with bigger piping and louder.
So I bought the Q300 and couldn't be happier, the tips look great, I loved the "Invidia" at the center piece that you could see from behind.

My only complaint with the Q300 is that it's apparently the only exhaust that doesnt fit the Forbidden-USA J's style diffuser, but that's a different matter (just a little rubbing, its ok )

And the guy that had the melting plastic piece is running the single version of the Q300, mine gets no where near the plastic piece with the duals.
funny how you are comparing a q300 with a test pipe to an hks with no resonator and stock cat (you didnt mention if you had a test pipe on this exhaust), an hks with a test pipe has almost no drone.

you are running a test pipe with the q300, a test pipe will reduce drone on most if not all exhausts.
Old 02-26-2012 | 02:25 PM

I have no experience with the q300 but I did have a comptech at one point. It was the only exhaust I regretted having. It was far to quiet for my liking but it did sound awesome. No drone with the stock cat but I'm pretty deaf when it comes to drone, I do daily a 3 inch headerback lol. I say if you're looking for a quiet but good sounding exhaust that won't drone, get the comptech, I think they're call CT Engineering now.
Old 02-26-2012 | 03:09 PM

Don't want to cause any arguments amongst ourselves here so I'll pipe in that I decided to purchase the Tanabe medalion Touring dual tip. It should be arriving within a week or so.

Quick Reply: anyone regret the catback exhaust they bought?