S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

anyone regret the catback exhaust they bought?

Old 05-02-2012 | 05:51 PM

the talk about the HKS 75mm single not being bad while cruising is puzzling to me (along with some youtube vids where it appears to be very reasonable.) I love the look of it and the fact its a light weight single but i just can't imagine it's not loud as sh*t.

I guess I really want to ride in a car with the exhaust I am interested in before I buy, it's just too big of an investment and I see too many people not happy with their purchase.
Old 05-02-2012 | 09:03 PM

I got a dual hks that I am trying to get rid of. Not bc it's loud but I want even a quieter exhaust. Like the q300. Or back to stock. The buyer I bought it from removed the resonator. Sounds nice but I want it quieter.
Old 02-18-2013 | 05:50 AM

Well I just bought a Supersprint exhaust last month, and I can say that overall, I'm disappointed.
Surely, it looks great, the make quality is genuinely premium, and according to the mechanics who bolted it, fitment was a boon to do.

Also, the sound when you start the car and idle is great: deep, reasonably loud note.

But then when you rev up it starts to get ugly... I did not have any aftermarket exhaust before that, but I think I can nonetheless safely say that it has deafening drone between 3k and 4.5k rpms. And then once you hit the vtec, you don't hear it anymore. Not just the drone, but the exhaust altogether.

Whereas what I wanted was along the lines of "deep at idle + no drone at all + screaming like the trumpets of Hell at VTEC". I guess it's impossible to have all that, but I wanted something that gets close. Based on the reviews I read, Supersprint seemed to be getting quite close to that, albeit at significant monetary costs. Well it doesn't. Lesson learned...
Old 02-18-2013 | 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegal
Well I just bought a Supersprint exhaust last month, and I can say that overall, I'm disappointed.
Surely, it looks great, the make quality is genuinely premium, and according to the mechanics who bolted it, fitment was a boon to do.

Also, the sound when you start the car and idle is great: deep, reasonably loud note.

But then when you rev up it starts to get ugly... I did not have any aftermarket exhaust before that, but I think I can nonetheless safely say that it has deafening drone between 3k and 4.5k rpms. And then once you hit the vtec, you don't hear it anymore. Not just the drone, but the exhaust altogether.

Whereas what I wanted was along the lines of "deep at idle + no drone at all + screaming like the trumpets of Hell at VTEC". I guess it's impossible to have all that, but I wanted something that gets close. Based on the reviews I read, Supersprint seemed to be getting quite close to that, albeit at significant monetary costs. Well it doesn't. Lesson learned...
Check out the UK Exhaust Mod, its what I am running right now:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/944056-exhaust-mod/
Old 02-28-2013 | 06:29 AM

I have been running the HKS 75mm single with a berk 70mm hfc for a few months and top down it's just pure sex. With top up and windows up it does drone around 3-4k, I honestly don't think it's completely horrible but I did used to have a tiburon with a dual that droned no matter what. For me it looks fine and the only time it rasps is when you first start it up in the cold and maybe a few gear changes afterwards but other than that the only sound that comes out is amazing. Also i have a tune on AEM ems1 so i get ridiculous burbling when i decel and have my foot barely on the gas and i just can't stop doing it. Sounds awesome and definitely recommend this or probably the dual even more so if you want a little less drone because it does have an extra resonator.
Old 02-28-2013 | 07:29 AM

I recently acquired the greddy se duals mated with 70mm berk test pipe which made the exhaust tolerable. Before, with the stock cat it was boomy and getting ton of drone in lower rpm range 3/4k. The test pipe tone down some of the drone and I am loving the exhaust as of now. Don't think I'll replace it anytime soon.

Old 05-10-2013 | 06:20 AM

How is the greddy ti-c single? Also how is the T1R 70Rv3. Car I have now has invidia v3 duals with a test pipe, I'm looking to go single exhaust.
Old 05-11-2013 | 04:51 AM
20 Year Member

When I was sc I bought an aura exhaust. It flowed great but was way to loud for me. If I had been turbo it would have been fine though.