S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Yellow Box Speedometer recalibrator V5 review

Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yellow Box Speedometer recalibrator V5 review

I race a PRB clubman sportscar which is powered by a Honda S2000 driveline. The car was built with the full Honda driveline, simplified body loom and the Honda dash.

I recently upgraded to a Quaife 6 speed sequential gearbox which didn’t have any speedometer sensor facility. I had to look at trying to pickup a signal from somewhere else. Anticipating the need for speedometer calibration I contact Yellowbox who kindly offered me one of their newly released V5 boxes with a plug and play harness.

The yellowbox V5 ( YB5) is a new generation of their product and does away with the dip switch configuration used on earlier models. The calibration is programmed through two press buttons marked (+) and (-). The process in the instructions is pretty easy to follow.
Once the calibration has been programmed, fine adjustments down to 0.1% can be done on the move using the same buttons.
It also has multiple frequency test signals and a maximum speed telltale. When it powers on the red LED dot and dashes out the calibration number in a Morse like code, the green LED flashes to show pulses on the input side. They also offer a USB cable which can program the calibration in directly.

They also offer plug and play packages requiring no alteration to the cars wiring. I used their Honda S2000 plug and play loom.

With my new gearbox I repositioned the speedometer sensor from the Honda gearbox to the rear of my propshaft where it would read pulses off a flange that I machined up. I used 45 pulses as 8 degree increments were easy to dial up on my mill/rotary table. This got me within 5% accurate with the yellowbox providing the fine tuning for my race and road wheels and also different final drives.

The plug and play loom was very simple to plug in. I cable tied the wiring in place to keep it away from the propshaft and went onto calibrate the YB. In a Honda S2000 you would access the speedometer sensor on the side of the gearbox. You could then run the wire up past the gear lever and put the yellowbox in the centre console or tucked down beside the seats. The plug and play harness is 1.2m long so gives you plenty of options to locate the YB5 controller.

The YB5 can output a test signal in several different frequencies. You just press the button to cycle through the different speeds. This allowed me to confirm it was connected through to the instrument panel.

Once I confirmed it was working I ran the car up to set the initial calibration. My gear charts/tyre diameter calculations tell me I should be doing 104 km/h at 4000rpm in 6th gear. With the YB5 at the default setting of 1.0000 the speedometer read 109 km/h. This calculates as 1.0480% too fast. Yellowbox makes it easy to work out the calibration figure as you just enter this 1.0480 as the calibration.
A few minutes and button presses later and the calibration was programmed in and the speedometer calibration confirmed.
This was a really easy installation, especially with the plug and play harness removing any need to cut and splice into factory looms.
More details on the Yellowbox and online ordering are available at www.YellR.com

Chris Barry – 07/06/13
www.speedracersportscars.com.au
Old 06-14-2013, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice
Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool! I've been needing something since going to a 3.9 FD in my S. Looks like this is the winner since the other units will only adjust the speed down not up