S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

What's your opinion of stock over aftermarket

Old 06-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your opinion of stock over aftermarket

After looking at so many exhaust systems and looking at my own stock set up, the only difference I can come up with is weight and with a little ingenuity,( ie. stripping the airbox, taping the manifold) a stock system is less expensive that lends to more versatility. Does anyone agree or disagree and why?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm there a some aftermartket parts that are garanteed to make power over stock.

If you combine aftermarket parts with some form of tuning, you'll make your money worth while.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You haven't looked very far then
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM

If I pay five hundred for an intake, 100 for a throttle body spacer, a grand for a header another 100 for a test pipe and 2 grand for a cat back and I'm only on the high side of 20 - 30 more horses seems wasteful. That is 3700 bucks that coulda bought a decent turbo. I guess what I am asking is for someone to make me a believer before I start spending a bunch of money for name brands and no real power...
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM

So you already know the answer.... Its like spending $$ on nice good looking wheels that if not chosed correctly degrade the perf of the vehicle.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM

I agree sort of.... My S has intake/header/high flow cat/exhaust and a tune. Unless you just love tinkering with your car (as I do), then stock will keep you happy. There aren't enough gains in NA mods to spend the $ for nice parts if you're focused on performance. It's more about the "build" and making your car yours in a way than the performance w/ NA IMHO. You may enjoy $1.5k in suspension mods much more!

Plus, I think the stock exhausts look best...
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Why would someone need to make you a believer of NA mods?!

If you want some sort of proof of bolt on gains, look in the Official intake, header and exhaust threads. There are dyno sheets. There's also a thread about people posting their dyno numbers, whether they are FI or NA.

And/or search.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dollar for dollar FI will net you the most gains, going basic NA the main thing is gearing for better acceleration and a bored throttle body for snap, other than that you are dumping huge amounts of money for tiny increases, just go FI...
Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 PM

I've ran several exhausts, and I decided I kind of like stock AP1 with a test pipe the best. Other than expensive high end ti singles of course..
Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a prm intake (for sound and 'cause my stock setup is incomplete), a megan header (just got it 'cause it was cheap but the gains aren't even worth the install in comparison to stock), a highflowcat (the bottleneck), and i'm going with an aftermarket exhaust (not really for gains but 'cause my stocker is ragged as hell). so, i can rationalize my i/h/e purchases somewhat but i really think the best way to go NA would be gears/testpipe/single-exhaust/bb-throttlebody...

Quick Reply: What's your opinion of stock over aftermarket