S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

What are some good inexpensive brake pads?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some good inexpensive brake pads?

Hey guys, so I'm about 4 months into owning my s2000 and as the previous owner said I am going to have to replace my current brake pads. They are squealing to all hell and I'm starting to get a little stutter. He said he had Porterfield (R4's?, not sure) on there and I know they are prone to squealing, but still, I think they're at if not past the end of their lifeline.

So anyway, I wanted to know what most of you guys are using for your pads. Will I need to replace all four? I don't track this car and it's a DD, so I don't need anything too performance-oriented, and I'm not looking to spend a fortune, either.

Also,The squealing has been going on for at least a month or two now so is there any chance of damage to my rotors at this point?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM

R4S are very aggressive.

For a DD, just go for something like Axxis Ultimates. They'll bite harder than stock. I used them on my Integra for years and was always really satisfied with them. You can usually get F+R for about $140 total.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 AM

you cant go wrong with OEM online you can find them for a really good price
Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 AM

I don't mind OEM but if I'm going to go the whole nine I'd rather upgrade to something a little better if it's within my capability. I've seen those Axxis' around while researching, does anyone have anything bad to say about them? Are there any others anyone recommends?

Also, what's the best place to buy these online?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 PM

if the previous owner left porterfield r4 (not r4s) on the car, squealing is normal. you should only have to take a flashlight to the calipers to see how much pad you have left. the r4 is very aggressive pad and is designed for mostly track driving.

if you're looking to just drive the car on the street, i would say get the oem pads and put them back in. the oem pads are perfect for street, no squealing or anything, and are significantly cheaper than any race pad
Old 04-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HighwayStar,Apr 26 2009, 01:46 PM
you cant go wrong with OEM online you can find them for a really good price

The OEMs are very good for DD. There's not much better out there that doesn't have some compromises (dust or rotor eaters).
Old 04-26-2009, 01:59 PM

i got the $45 front set of wagner ceramics from advance autp and love them
Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Just go oem. Going with ones that have more bite will not be needed for dd and will squeel and or dust a lot more. I GOT MY ap1 pads all around for $99 shipped from majestic honda
Old 04-26-2009, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking I'll just go with OEM then. I can get pads all around for $99 for my '05 on Majestic, too.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah I went through the same thing just recently and decided I don't want to deal with all the extra brake dust and squealing I would get with a more track oriented pad. For daily oem ones brake really well.

Quick Reply: What are some good inexpensive brake pads?