S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

What Exhaust Upgrade for AP2

Old 07-31-2024, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What Exhaust Upgrade for AP2

Need help it deciding for an exhaust. Was looking to get a Mugen AP2 exhaust from Evasive Motorsports, but was informed that they are discontinued when I went to order one. Thus, I have posted on WTB hoping to see if anybody in the community has one for sale.
However, I'm willing to look at other options till then. Currently, I'm looking at the T1R 70R-EM Sparrow and J's Racings duel 70RS and wanted to get some feedback on each exhaust from what I'm looking for below. Appreciate any help!

Looking for:
- Louder than stock
- Not a lot of drone
- Lighter than stock
- Gains to be made with tune, HFC/TP, and upgraded header (Will be keeping NA).
The following users liked this post:
s2kle87 (08-20-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:11 PM

Received 1,371 Likes on 1,023 Posts

The T1R drones like crazy.
Any loud exhaust will drone like crazy. That's why the stock exhaust isn't loud.
None of them will make a ton of power. Maybe 5-8HP if you're lucky.

You can just UK mod your stock exhaust if you want a little extra noise. I UK modded mine and its the perfect "driver" exhaust, IMO. But I am also old asf.

I have a 2nd S2000 with a T1R 70 EM. The sound quality is good...but I wear ear plugs when I drive it more than 20 mins at a time.

Last edited by B serious; 07-31-2024 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 02:49 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,844 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Fujitsubo legalis is one to look at, similar to the Mugen and still available.
The following 2 users liked this post by sam_spider:
Bullwings (08-01-2024), Jíbaro (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
The T1R drones like crazy.
Any loud exhaust will drone like crazy. That's why the stock exhaust isn't loud.
None of them will make a ton of power. Maybe 5-8HP if you're lucky.

You can just UK mod your stock exhaust if you want a little extra noise. I UK modded mine and its the perfect "driver" exhaust, IMO. But I am also old asf.

I have a 2nd S2000 with a T1R 70 EM. The sound quality is good...but I wear ear plugs when I drive it more than 20 mins at a time.
I feel you on the not crazy loud. Definitely beyond that age. Just looking for something sportier.

I did check out the UK mod, but from reading on the forums here it essentially sounds like all your doing is creating an exhaust leak. Which somehow doesn't sit well with me and wonder if that would effect performance at all?

Also, for the your T1R 70 EM, single or dual?
Old 08-01-2024, 07:15 AM

Received 1,431 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Less of an exhaust leak, and more like a partial muffler delete.

Exhaust leaks sound like crap because of turbulence created by air flowing at pressure through opening in a wall. Often a jagged opening to boot.

UK mod is technically a partial muffler bypass. Some of the exhaust bypasses the muffling parts of the muffler, even as it still flows through center pipe of muffler.

That means it has a chance to remix with main exhaust, then flow together a decent distance before exit, meaning no turbulence.

Size of uk bypass pipe dictates how much gets bypassed, and thus sound.

IMO, the louder you try to make it, theworse it sounds. Try to make it aftermarket exhaust loud, with like a 44mm pipe, not gonna have good exhaust SQ.

Stay 32mm or less for good exhaust SQ, which will also sound like coulda been factory option. Personal preference, 25mm.
Old 08-01-2024, 03:38 PM

Received 1,371 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Jíbaro
I feel you on the not crazy loud. Definitely beyond that age. Just looking for something sportier.

I did check out the UK mod, but from reading on the forums here it essentially sounds like all your doing is creating an exhaust leak. Which somehow doesn't sit well with me and wonder if that would effect performance at all?

Also, for the your T1R 70 EM, single or dual?
The UK mod is absolutely an exhaust leak. Keeping it reasonable in size and making the bend so that the bypass isn't too agressive is key.

However, that takes some cunning. You could go with a Fujitsubo for a reasonable amount of noise/drone, like someone else recommended. Although, I'm not sure you can actually get that anymore.

The Revel Medallion is another reasonable volume option.

Any of the above "toned down" exhausts are going to have almost no power gain, however.

I've owned the T1R dual and the T1R single. Drone city.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends what level of noise you are ok with. I did a 38mm UK mod and wasn't satisfied personally.

I really enjoy my HKS dual, but there is drone in the cruising range. I also don't have to daily mine, so when I go out it's windows down, no radio, just enjoying the car.

Everyone is very different with regards to where you land on volume and drone tolerance spectrum. Knowing your own preference will help guide you.

​​​
The following users liked this post:
Jíbaro (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 09:14 PM

Watched a bunch of videos on the UK mod. The tone is growing on me, and I'm considering it. However, part of me feels like holding off on locating a Mugen exhaust, for it seems to strike all the right notes, light weight, no drone, and louder than stock.

I have a separate thread on WTB for a Mugen exhaust. However, if anyone has an old one that their willing to part with, please message me.
Old 08-02-2024, 03:57 AM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Try HKS SSM
The following 2 users liked this post by randomwalk101:
jnewtons2k (08-02-2024), TsukubaCody (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 04:40 AM

Received 1,225 Likes on 1,070 Posts

- Louder than stock? -- Easy, they all are. Seems most are annoyingly LOUD and some require ear plugs (see above).

- Not a lot of drone? -- If they're affordable they drone but some drone a lot.

- Lighter than stock? -- They all are. So what? You need a half-second taken off your lap time? Won't help traffic light to traffic light. You can save the same 20 pounds by skipping the cheeseburgers and beer.

- Gains to be made with tune, HFC/TP, and upgraded header (Will be keeping NA).? -- None have any significant gains as the OEM system flows very well. Choke point is the catalytic converter and a high flow cat is necessity for increased performance. Aftermarket headers do so little as to be not worth the time and effort. Same with intakes which do sound nice making you think there's performance increase..

Lowering VTEC provides significant mid-range power and is the best performance increase for a NA car. Even that ain't cheap as you need a tunable ECU (2006+) and tuning hardware/software or a replacement ECU plus that stuff. High flow cat + any exhaust + tune.

Don't buy an aftermarket exhaust based on anyone's description that it's "barely louder than stock" or anything else. There are enough guys around with different exhausts more than willing to let you drive their cars and hear their exhausts for real. Standing offer from me in Richmond to hear my Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust and experience a 3600rpm VTEC. Only requirement is bring your own S2000 'cuz I'll be driving it.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: What Exhaust Upgrade for AP2