S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Vinyl Wrap DIY

Old 05-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He said he removed the brake light.

Subscribed. Looks good so far.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried to wrap my previous car, very tedious task and ended up failing. Looks great so far.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is some impressive work. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM

I've been gone the past few days and got home today and did a fender and ruined another piece.

I would recommend not doing this project to anyone interested.

I've done a lot of BS work that ticked me off on several different vehicles. I've replaced just about every part on a vehicle that you can, including wire harnesses that had thousands of feet of wire and were poorly labeled. Vinyl wrapping my car is by far the most pain in the azz job I've ever done on a vehicle. This is the least fun I've had with my S, and even as I finish parts of the car I think "as good as that looks, it wasn't worth it".

There's a reason that places charge 2-3k to put $350 in parts on your car. I'll probably have to buy more vinyl to make up for my mistakes, and it would be easier to just stop trying at this point, but I like finishing jobs that I start, and that still the plan.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by dirtykoala
I've been gone the past few days and got home today and did a fender and ruined another piece.

I would recommend not doing this project to anyone interested.

I've done a lot of BS work that ticked me off on several different vehicles. I've replaced just about every part on a vehicle that you can, including wire harnesses that had thousands of feet of wire and were poorly labeled. Vinyl wrapping my car is by far the most pain in the azz job I've ever done on a vehicle. This is the least fun I've had with my S, and even as I finish parts of the car I think "as good as that looks, it wasn't worth it".

There's a reason that places charge 2-3k to put $350 in parts on your car. I'll probably have to buy more vinyl to make up for my mistakes, and it would be easier to just stop trying at this point, but I like finishing jobs that I start, and that still the plan.
Well just like one of many skills, its hard and requires practice. I could see it becoming a very trail and error process for everyone to develop any techniques, i for one have NO idea how i would go about doing this...probably at least... def not in my 350 bucks worth...
But if its worth doing, and even if it takes more of that, would you recommend the skill be one that we should pick up alternatively to get a paint job because that has never been in my price range. I would love and probably one of the many things im sure others would be able to do!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 PM

if someone was helping you, it would be alot easier.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 PM

If you want to change your paint color, I think spending 550-700 on vinyl is a great option if you are willig to put in the work. I think I'm a little stressed because I'm running low on vinyl. If I had bought a 700 bigger kit I might be saying "screw it, I learned from that piece, I've got more". Instead I'm worried about how much I'm gonna screw up and how much I'm gonna have to pay for more in the end.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 PM

I commend you for giving the DIY path a go. I just bought enough matte black for my stock wheels and plan to start when all of it arrives. After that I was gonna wrap the hood and trunk with that 3D DINOC Carbon Fiber. After endeavoring to take on the whole car at once, were the hood and trunk easier than the rest of the car or is it about the same all over? Just curious 'cause I was planning to do small sections at a time as well until eventually the whole exterior was changed.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by charleetuner
I commend you for giving the DIY path a go. I just bought enough matte black for my stock wheels and plan to start when all of it arrives. After that I was gonna wrap the hood and trunk with that 3D DINOC Carbon Fiber. After endeavoring to take on the whole car at once, were the hood and trunk easier than the rest of the car or is it about the same all over? Just curious 'cause I was planning to do small sections at a time as well until eventually the whole exterior was changed.
Hood and trunk were relatively easy. The biggest challenge of the two was probably the curve of the trunk where it surrounds the tail light. Careful stretching and heat worked that out for me.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:24 PM

may I ask where you purchased the vinyl? Everytime I price out a 3M vinyl for the car it ends up being in the 1K range locally.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap DIY