S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

UK Exhaust Mod or Test Pipe for better sound?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default UK Exhaust Mod or Test Pipe for better sound?

So right now I am running an ebay cat back on my 2000 s2k. For $189 it is actually pretty good. The sound level is right, it is very mild, but there is some drone and has that farty sound at low rpms. I would like to try some thing else for better sound. Here are my choices:

Do the UK mod on my stock exhaust. After all the videos I have watched on exhaust sounds I think the UK is best for what I am looking for. Somewhat louder, with the right sound and no drone.

Or, I have a test pipe that came with my ebay exhaust (didn't use it). I was thinking of running it with my stock exhaust. I think the sound level would be right, plus I would actually gain a little power. The down sides are from what I can tell it does not sound as good as the UK mod, plus I have to deal with black smoke and a stinky exhaust.

So the questions are; how does the UK exhaust mod/stock cat sound compared to a test pipe with stock exhaust?

Are the power gains of a test pipe worth the stinky exhaust and smoked out bumper?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

My suggestion would be to switch out to the Test Pipe and see how you like the sound. Should be a fairly quick install, and you will be able to tell if the positives the TP brings (added HP, louder tone, etc.) outweigh the negatives (soot and smell).

Personally I went the TP route paired with a Greddy SE dual. The sound is just about perfect (though the drone @ 3k RPM is still a factor) and the smell/soot is not so evident as to detract from the sound/power gains.

As with many modifications everything is subjective, what sounds great to someone may sound totally annoying to someone else. Since you have the parts already, give the TP a try and see if you like it, if not you haven't lost much.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Have the UK mod. Tried it with a test pipe, was not worth it. The gf complained of the smell and that was enough to sell it straight away (we have the top down 90% of the time). If you have a hard top and have the windows up, you'll be fine.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the UK exhaust mod (without test pipe) and I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4t0w9b3Jcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFUF85VfBfk

Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both. Sounds great to me.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have the UK mod, have you heard a car with stock exhaust and test pipe? If so how did it sound?

I have the test pipe, so I may try that first.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Have the UK mod. Tried it with a test pipe, was not worth it. The gf complained of the smell and that was enough to sell it straight away (we have the top down 90% of the time). If you have a hard top and have the windows up, you'll be fine.
You need a new gf bro, mine doesn't complain about smell at all.. And I've had a test pipe for years and just recently added a loud a$$ exhaust to it..
Old 05-28-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
If you have the UK mod, have you heard a car with stock exhaust and test pipe? If so how did it sound? I have the test pipe, so I may try that first. Thanks!
Yes, I had the uk mod with both test pipe and oem cat. With the test pipe the sound was increased considerably, but the smell was bad.

To the person above, we live in the city and as such a lot of driving is done stop light to stop light. If the roof is down you will get a smell in this kind of driving.

On the open road or highway it is fine.

You and your gf might live somewhere other than downtown in a city and you may have a hardtop? Personally I feel better knowing I am not inhaling the fumes.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The test pipe on the oem exhaust will do little for performance or noise.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's what my car sounded like with just the test pipe..

Intake lid was off too I believe.. But other than that the car was bone stock..

http://vimeo.com/15729780

You really won't hear a big difference with a test pipe just regular driving..

Quick Reply: UK Exhaust Mod or Test Pipe for better sound?