S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

The Truth About Single Exhausts

Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Truth About Single Exhausts

So i think we have all heard quite a few times saying that a single exhaust for our car gives better results when tuned if your looking for power especially with N/A applications...

I've read "single is better than dual" a million times, but never seen any actual evidence.

No im looking into getting a new exhaust and i would really like to go back dual, but again i run into the qeustion of "Will a single exhaust for the s2000 truley offer more power than a dual?"
If you asked me this a few months ago i would have said yes, we have a 4 cylinder and thus the best option is to run a single exhaust system, but after my time on the forum and with other members and seeing so many duals i ask myself, is it really true...

So although i'm starting to want a dual exhaust, is it worth it?
Keep in mind im going to be on a N/A build with nothing crazy. Intake and an Exhaust, with a test pipe and probably Ap1 Intake Cams (changed a degree or two as i have done my research and that does show gains) paired with Ap2 exhaust cams - All tied together with my AEM EMS. I would add a header to that but after my time i've come to believe that our OEM header is truly good enough and offers some of the best results.

So with my mild build, is it worth staying with a single exhaust even if it only offers another few horse power? Because for my build a few horse power, is exactly what im looking for...

Decisions...decisions....
Please keep all comments w/ facts / ideas and links related to the single vrs dual topic, NOT about my decision with cams, or wether or not OEM header is one of the best to run...

Thanks in advance, i hope this helps more than just me.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been through 2 single 70mm exhaust and all i can say is YES! they do gain power. i have raced my friend many of time in his ap2 and when i have stock exhaust with test pipe and aem v2 he will pull about 1 car from 45mph to 110. He might pull about 1 1/2 cars. Now with me in my ap1 with aem v2 70mm test pipe and same exhaust he has(greddy tic single) we where dead even time and time again. vtec hits and pulls harder with a single exhaust.

HIS mods
aem v2, 70mm test pipe, greddy tic single exhaust

my mods
aem v2, 70mm test pipe and greddy tic single exhaust.

our mods are indentical, and without the single exit exhaust i lose everytime.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:24 PM

While this is helpful, i still believe theres alot more to it, and when you compare it like you did, it has alot to do about moment environmental differences, and driver error. I would really like to see back to back testing if its ever been done.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM

</i have not actual good contribution>

dual exhausts are for cool kids

<i have not actual good contribution>
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM

Even if there isn't a definitive hp increase (which I am sure there is, due to flow restriction) you have to factor in the weight difference.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

For turbo a bigger single will make more power. And its lighter as well

If my car wasnt turbo id have a dual because i like how they look so much better.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
While this is helpful, i still believe theres alot more to it, and when you compare it like you did, it has alot to do about moment environmental differences, and driver error. I would really like to see back to back testing if its ever been done.
man yes a 3 inch single makes the best gain N/a there is dyno plots somewhere on this forum. This has been dyno porven many times over..
Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzuka_Joe
For turbo a bigger single will make more power. And its lighter as well

If my car wasnt turbo id have a dual because i like how they look so much better.

I even like dual for my sc'd S. Just looks sooo much better I think. Especially compared to those slanted singles out there.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 PM

i am a big fan of the slanted single. Greddy tic single, T1R single, those types. looks agressive, and is affective in performance area. Single exhaust also saves 30 lbs of weight give or take.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

With a nicely designed unrestricted exhaust I'm sure it doesn't make a difference if it has two outlets or one. Singles will obviously be lighter so there is an advantage there.

I had a single built when I first went turbo because I was running out of money and it was quick and easy. It was damn loud and looked ricey. I now have a nicely muffled dual and much prefer it. I may be making 495hp instead of 500 but at least my hearing is intact.

Quick Reply: The Truth About Single Exhausts