S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Transmission fluid change

Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change

I was reading earlier today about a procedure and I was wondering if it is a good, bad, or doesn't matter. Basically, when filling the the transmission with the transmission fluid you drop down the passenger side of the car a little bit so you can "squeeze" in a little bit of extra transmission fluid. I am changing my transmission fluid tomorrow and I was thinking about trying this if it is not harmful to the car. Any information shared would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

-Ian
Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

it's designed to be filled to that level... fuller does not necessarily equate to better
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 AM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

You drop the passenger side to to get a little extra fluid in and then you raise the passenger side back up to level. When you do that, any excess will run out. Wipe the area clean and put your fill bolt back.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 AM

yep, over filling fluids does no good. they put the fill plug where it is because its measured out to where your fluid needs to be. its supposed to be an idiot proof design so that someone cant over fill, but apparently it doesnt always work.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 AM

ok first of all why would you drop the transmission for a fluid change? you take the fill bolt off, then the drain bolt. Wait until it drains. Plug the drain hole and then refill with new fluid. get a pump from auto zone or pep boys to pump the fluid. then once it starts leaking leave it for 5 mins so it can even out. then plug the fill hole. and ur done. took me 15 minutes on saturday to do it.

i dont even know where you are getting your info from but thats wrong. hopefully the didnt tell you to fill the engine with oil until it spills from the valve cover.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 AM

ha ha, thanks for the replies guys. I didnt mean drop the transmission. I think im just going to do it regular and be better safe than sorry. hearing people call me stupid helps when a dumb idea makes its way into the brain. Have a good one.

-Ian
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, the concept behind raising drivers side up, is to add more fluid in it, let it settle, then set the heights equal, gets rid of air bubbles, etc to make sure its full
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

not a stupid question at all
Old 06-28-2011, 04:28 PM

Level the car with a level using the front brace under the hood and the frame on the side underneath. Then fill until it starts to run out. Let it get to a consistent very light flow then close up. Done.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by MasterForce
ok first of all why would you drop the transmission for a fluid change? you take the fill bolt off, then the drain bolt. Wait until it drains. Plug the drain hole and then refill with new fluid. get a pump from auto zone or pep boys to pump the fluid. then once it starts leaking leave it for 5 mins so it can even out. then plug the fill hole. and ur done. took me 15 minutes on saturday to do it.

i dont even know where you are getting your info from but thats wrong. hopefully the didnt tell you to fill the engine with oil until it spills from the valve cover.
I think you totally misunderstood the question. I said drop one side of the car down not the transmission. Thanks for your input though. Thanks everyone for the info though. I think I kind of misunderstood what was meant by dropping a side down as well.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change