S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tow Hook?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hook?

Sorry if this is an already existing topic, but I was searching on the internet but still couldn't find an answer I was looking for. I see alot of JDM cars with these tow hooks in the front, what is the main purpose of this? Is it just aesthetics?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when you break down the tow truck can hook up and pull you onto the flat bed. Or when you're on the track and you go off into dirt or sand and you're stuck, the tow truck pulls you back into the track.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM

The OEM bumper has a spot to screw in the Honda supplied tow hook. If the car is tracked, a readily available towing point is a must so the car can be pulled out of a dangerous situation quickly. The factory tow rings could be used but a larger tow hook is easier. Also, alot of aftermarket bumpers don't have a hole to use the factory tow ring, so an aftermarket tow hook is the only way.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Factory tow hook is really only design to get you on a flatbed on a paved road. Any upward force on it or if the wheel is jammed in a ditch and it will break.

If you need a tow at the track, they are usually more concerned about getting you out of harms way more than concerned about damaging a bumper, so if you don't provide them with a quick and secure method to tow with, they will create one themselves.

That being said, many cars on the street run them for aesthetic reasons, for that "race car" look.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:23 PM

tow hooks are meant for towing. but most people (civics,integras etc) have them for looks. its a cheap "mod"
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 AM

Not trying to derail the thread but does anyone that has a tow hook worry about it making the car easier to steal?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

99%+ of the cars you see with two hooks are for looks only.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by SpoiledAP1
Not trying to derail the thread but does anyone that has a tow hook worry about it making the car easier to steal?
That's true. They can also steal with the stock tow hooks.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll resurrect this thread for my purposes rather than start a new one. I guess I'm paying the price for buying a modded car!
I ordered two new, red custom tow-hooks for my "new to me" 2007 S2K which has an intercooler and turbo set up. When I popped off the front window, there is nothing in there to screw the tow hook into! Looking at the picture in that area there doesn't appear to be anything so I'm guessing that as a part of the addition of the intercooler, new grill, etc perhaps they re-worked the bumper and removed somehow the threaded hole for a tow hook? Has anyone ever seen this before or any idea what is up? I see one nut going down on a vertical upward facing bolt but certainly nothing like a threaded hole/mount.

The rear is fine, opened up the window and can attach the hook for track daze or perhaps when playing around on The Dragon area just in case. Any input? Guess I have a spare hook now unless I can figure out somewhere else to mount it. First pic is inside window where threaded hole should be waiting, hooks and then the window for reference.