S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Throttle body spacer?

Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body spacer?

Alright well considering i am staying N/A and do want to squeeze the most power out of my car, i am looking at every last option. I have the AEMV2 intake and HKS exhaust(dont give crap about it). and for you guys who are going to say gears, dont bother, im getting gears as soon as money gets up enough. but these throttle body or throttle body spacers. do they help? a spacer is only $90 and apparently gives more hp/tq/mpg... i see some company saying around 22hp for a spacer, which i know is BS, but what kind of adds do you think i can really see? what will be the best spacer/body to get?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:47 PM

alot of those spaces have a cut in them to make the air spiral in.. .. it may cause the air to spiral .. but the butterfly in the throttle body is gonna break it.. lol.. its a gimmick imo
Old 02-17-2008, 05:50 PM

no its not a gimmic.

its not a "cut" its called a helix. the idea is to swirl the air as it comes into the manifold getting better atomization with the fuel.

it goes between the TB and manifold so its not "useless"

on my old prelude (and it wasnt a magical part its jsut that the manifold was a bottleneck) made 6hp and 7lbs of tq with one.

i have been looking for one for a while now. where did you find one?

the other thing to thinka bout is how the throttle cable is routed. make srue you dont need to modify the cable stay.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:51 PM

but will it help anything? or is it just a waste?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:55 PM

yeh i will look into that tomorrow morning. i actually found it on ebay... i have found one site that sells it somewhere but cant find it right now. so you got 6 hp and 7 tq out of a prelude... what engine was it running?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:01 AM

it was a b20a5 but the JDM version. i used the USDM manifolds and EGR and the JDM block and head. so for all intents and purposes it was just the equivelant of a low mileage USDM motor.

the bottle neck of the prelude was the intake manifold and TB, i made a total of 23whp on a dyno (used same dyno for baseline and testing) with a ported manifold (both upper and power plenum...mine is 2 piece) 4mm oversized TB and matching 1inch spacer. the spacer had a single helix cut in it.

and i do wanna note that the manifold and spacer and stuff was not magic to gaining power its just that the stock one really was that bad

but also this spacer idea has been around for centuries. muscle car guys can buy carb spacers off the shelf. the farther away you put the injectors/fuel delivery the better atomization of fuel/air you get. swirling the air helps tremendiously. if you look at some of honda's conceptual designs they are using "tri-flo" cams that opoen one intake valve slightly earlier than the other to swirl the air in the combustion chamber before igniting it.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 AM

They make the same thing for the new Civic Si and he is right they do make power.

A company has just started producing one according to this thread. However it does say prototype.

We have develop a brand new spacer for the 2007 Honda S2000. The part is already installed on the car and we are waiting for dyno time at Church Automotive. We currently have it install on our 2002 Nissan Sentra SER 2.5L and it show an increase in 9 HP gain! Dyno sheet to prove it and Shawn @ Church Auto can also tell you it works! Our part has been featured in Nissan Sport Magazine.

-Increase in HP and Torque
-Increase Gas Mileage
-Taper Helix Design
*** EDIT *** Added the quote. However notice the "Church Automotive". These people have an overly happy dyno.

F22c Throttle Body Spacer

Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 AM

i have the F20c engine(ap1), but i have found a body that will fit my engine. so with the small engine and all im looking at making about 6-8hp and probly 6-8 tq gains? not too bad for $95... does it help or hurt gas mileage at all? in my bros Dodge it claims to give it up to an extra 3mpg...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 AM

I doubt you are going to see those kinds of gains from a throttle body spacer.

Where did you find it @ for $95?

With an F20/2 engine extracting power with NA is not going to be as easy as other engines. Honda designed this engine very well. Now with a J's/Hytech Header (1200+) you can see moderate gains. With a Test pipe and 70mm single exhaust you will see moderate gains but nothing that will set you over 20-30 HP to the wheels.

Forced Induction is the way to go for power unless you want an AEM/K-Pro, head work, header, tp, exhaust, etc.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:57 AM

im not looking at gaining huge power. i just want a little bit. like exhaust and intake and spacer. i know the throttle body spacer wont add much power, but any at all would be fine with me.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacer?