S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tein Mono-Flex and Tein Flex Owners...

Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

See attached pictures. Not TEIN but a good Reference

Quote from TEIN
[QUOTE] TEIN's pillow ball (spherical bearing) upper mount is designed for each individual model of the vehicle. By remaining the positioning design of upper spring and shock absorber close to manufacture's standards, TEIN's pillow ball upper mount keeps height change to the minimum and maintains the stroke center.

The rubber bush is replaced with a pillow ball which eliminates the load input compliance, reduces the change of alignment to improve the grip of the tire. *NMB's (The world's top spherical bearing manufacture) pillow ball is used.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mykeee,Apr 12 2008, 05:39 PM
I am also very interested in this discussion, since my first planned upgrade for my ap1 is going to be coilovers. mugenrios2k's info helped clarify some stuff. I'm thinking about getting the type flex and I got a price quote on them a couple of days ago from a local shop and he said something about an extra ~$300 for upper ball mounts. Do you have any idea what these are for?
Those are my quotes w/ the upper pillowball mounts. If your down to making a drive out to the antelpe valley I can ask my buddy for a quote for you. Or you can tell your buddy you know where you can get them for $1,300ish.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had the same problem. I didn't know what to choose between suspension. I decided that I wanted a comfort/sporty feel so I opted for the tein type cs. smooth enough to float over the bumps in the road and stiff enough to take it to the track. alson compatible with edfc. good overall.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9kawday,Apr 13 2008, 10:51 AM
I also had the same problem. I didn't know what to choose between suspension. I decided that I wanted a comfort/sporty feel so I opted for the tein type cs. smooth enough to float over the bumps in the road and stiff enough to take it to the track. alson compatible with edfc. good overall.
How close to the flex in ride height are they? I know you can slam a set of flex but not sure about the cs. Tein's website is down
Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mykeee,Apr 12 2008, 05:39 PM
I am also very interested in this discussion, since my first planned upgrade for my ap1 is going to be coilovers. mugenrios2k's info helped clarify some stuff. I'm thinking about getting the type flex and I got a price quote on them a couple of days ago from a local shop and he said something about an extra ~$300 for upper ball mounts. Do you have any idea what these are for?
The flexes come standard with the upper pillar ball mounts, for the super streets and basics they are extra. I have the flexes and am happy with their performance.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:21 AM

you can go pretty low with the "cs" im sitting on 18in. wheels so it was some what of a challenge. I like the fact that you can go low on the tein cs and not loose any rid comfort, considering you can still mess with the damper settings. i'll try to post some pics for you asap
Old 04-14-2008, 12:34 PM

I have JDM Tein Mono Flexes and I daily drive my car. I got them last June or so and they have been running great so far, although I may have to overhaul them at Tein soon, maybe...Overall I think its a pretty decent coilover and you can't go wrong with a mono-tube design. FYI, since I have the JDM mono flexes, they're 10k front and rear, so they're not as stiff as the USDM one.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the tein flex that I have tracked quite a bit and they perform well. Only problem is the front not being stiff enough. If you hit a dip, bump or banked corner (summit point raceway) the tires get slammed in to wheel well. If I increase the damping to max click (16 out of 16) will I see better results or should I just increase the ride height? Just was looking for opinions before I do some testing my self at the track this weekend.

thanks for any input...
Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by JHooby,Apr 11 2008, 11:42 PM
bump i`d like to know also.
how about KWv3`s vs tein flex?
after owning both, the KWs are more stiff, but MUCH MUCH better as far as over all ride quality and handling so far.

I had my flexes for a few years. After about the first year, they got bouncy as hell. It was on an S13. My friend has them on his Miata and they seem to be holding up OK. Maybe they work better on double wishbone cars?

I've had my KW V3s on my S2000 for a few months. I've only driven on them for about a month or so (about 200 miles or so). So far, so good. I will have to get them on a track to really find out what they're all about...but they've really impressed me on a few fun turns around town and on over all ride quality. They are a tad bit harsh if yours is a DD, but they're SOLID. No bouncing around.

OP: The advantage to the monoflex besides the additional adjustments is the monotube design. The regular flexes are twin tube. Since they're monotube, they stay cooler, and will sometimes last longer. Since lateral stiffness of a coilover is a non issue on double wishbone cars, that advantage can be crossed out. If this was an EVO you were asking about, for example, the lateral stiffness of the monotubes on the front would be advantageous. They should damp more comfortably, but more controllably. They are probably worth the extra $200...especially if you ever do decide to put your man pants on and go to a track