S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tanabe Concept G w/ test pipe

Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gofast182
I'm also considering this exhaust (currently have stock exhaust). I want it to be refined and mellow under cruising, as I sometimes take day trips with my wife, yet authoritative at WOT for track days. From what I've read this seems to be a decent combination of that along with good build quality. Would appreciate any additional insight you guys have on the Concept G.

refined, mellow, wife approved + cheap = UK exhaust mod
Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have this exact setup. concept g dual w/ t1r test pipe
sounds amazing i love it. No rasp or drone at all either
Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have any sound clips or videos running with the test pipe? I have this exhaust and the drone really irritates me when going on cruises down the high way. It's like a super low loud rumble that hits a certain sound frequency which makes me want to pull my hair out. sounds good in very low rpms and very high rpms, just nothing in between.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choosing an exhaust is tricky as there are always people who say X exhaust drones while others say it doesn't.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 AM

true- I received the exhaust as part of my car purchase because the previous owner didn't have the stock exhaust anymore. to him, he loved the sound and said it "sometimes" drones, but nothing bad. well, I must have a lower tolerance because when I drive at 3-4K RPMS, the drone is pretty loud and just envelopes my whole body and head. i either have to back off the throttle or up shift (usually earlier than I would like to) to drop the RPMs back down.

i have looked up youtube videos of the concept g on our car and it sounds just like how mine sounds. guess it's time to pull the trigger on test pipe and see if anything improves
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 AM

But it sounds good in the YouTube videos and you can't get a sense of drone from them. Maybe the Concept G owners can make some more videos that give us a better sense of the exhaust/drone? Maybe some WOT passes (there aren't many for this exhaust that I've seen most vids are standing still revving) and an in-car to let us hear the drone?

This vid is the best sense I can get of the sound. It sounds great here, much more solid and refined than the Q300, but it's still not a WOT pass and there's no in-car to hear drone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Aanmw-TbM
Old 09-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by gofast182
But it sounds good in the YouTube videos and you can't get a sense of drone from them. Maybe the Concept G owners can make some more videos that give us a better sense of the exhaust/drone? Maybe some WOT passes (there aren't many for this exhaust that I've seen most vids are standing still revving) and an in-car to let us hear the drone?

This vid is the best sense I can get of the sound. It sounds great here, much more solid and refined than the Q300, but it's still not a WOT pass and there's no in-car to hear drone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Aanmw-TbM
Oh wow, what a nifty video - it's not very often you can compare the sound of two exhausts back to back.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 PM

Reading more I'm seeing the Concept G with Berk HFC will achieve the refined sound but without drone.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a nice exhaust. It definitely will drone as will basically every exhaust out there. Those who say it won't are either dead or used to even worse exhausts.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
It's a nice exhaust. It definitely will drone as will basically every exhaust out there. Those who say it won't are either dead or used to even worse exhausts.
yep- i have this exhaust and it drones just enough to make me not want to drive my car for long periods of time. i just ordered a berk test pipe after reading some people say it reduces drone, but will make the exhaust louder. i have no idea what this means or how it's possible to make this already-loud exhaust even louder, but less drony. but i'm willing to give it a shot!

Quick Reply: Tanabe Concept G w/ test pipe