S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Suspension Height problem

Old 10-23-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Height problem

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum but I figured I would ask the people that I thought had the most experience with suspension. Anyway, here goes....

So I bought myself a set of bilstein pss9 coilovers. I self installed them and height adjusted them measuring from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender well. However when I did this the passenger front coilever had to be spun up like 14 or so threads as compared to the driver sides 3-4 threads to achieve an even height. Is this normal? If not, what would cause this? I was able to take it to an alignment shop and they aligned it with no problems.

My friend has the same suspension and said he was able to adjust the height just by counting threads. I have always felt the passenger side was softer than the driver side but told myself it was just in my head... now I'm not so sure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of other spring related suspension problems with PSS9's. If it feels softer or if it starts to sag I would call up Bilstein and let them know what's going on so they can send you out a new spring.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

Markings on the spring?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Its a fiasco to get a jack under my car. I will do it and let you know. It crossed my mind that maybe they had mixed up springs. Either way it has caused me a lot problems. One of them dealing with having to repair a fender that the tire got a hold of.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

I pre-jack mine with the factory scissor jack till I can fit my floor jack under the front and lift the whole front.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 PM

My bilsteins are exactly identical in terms of spring perch, left and right.

I did find, however, that my garage floor is significantly slanted. What I would check first is ride height on a known good surface, no your cement garage floor is not one Park the car on an alignment rack and set the ride height there.

There could be a problem with the spring, but I would also guess, like the other posters, that a rear spring may have been placed up front or something like that, for it to be so drastically off. A cornerweighting would tell you also.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:40 PM

I had the car up on jackstands today installing a new clutch and flywheel... checked out the part numbers of the springs the fronts end with 391 and the rears with 392... So I don't think there is a problem there...? Still don't know why it is off though. Maybe a bad spring? And the cars height, before being adjusted, was visibly off.... So what is my course of action? Contact Bilstein?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, they've had issues with their springs. I'm sure it'll not be a problem since it's been a problem for them.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitwetzler,Oct 24 2009, 01:34 AM
My bilsteins are exactly identical in terms of spring perch, left and right.

I did find, however, that my garage floor is significantly slanted. What I would check first is ride height on a known good surface, no your cement garage floor is not one Park the car on an alignment rack and set the ride height there.
This is your answer. Look no further. Simply adjust your perches to be the same side to side. If it worked for Honda, it'll probably work for you. Also, I've done the same as you about 7 years ago. I though my garage was flat. Ha! Not even close.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by QuadraJet,Oct 23 2009, 07:53 PM
I pre-jack mine with the factory scissor jack till I can fit my floor jack under the front and lift the whole front.
I drive up on 2x4s first.

Quick Reply: Suspension Height problem