S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

stupid highbeam/garage door mod question

Old 03-16-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid highbeam/garage door mod question

this is my garage door opener and i want to know if this is a 9v or 12v, the battary says 3v on it idk if that means 3volt, if so i dont think its safe to hook up to the highbeams but im no expert so you tell me

Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are there more than one cell? you can hook up 3 three volts battery in series to get 9 volts

if you cant figure out how many volts it runs, you'll better off not messing with it
Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't put 12V into a 3V circuit. Use a 12V relay to "press" the button (keep the existing battery), or build a voltage divider to step down to 3V to drive the circuit.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Like Jeff said above...Use a 12V relay to "press" the button.

John
Old 03-16-2009, 05:19 PM

If you look at the pic above and you have to push the larger button on the right. What you need to do is un-solder S3 and place a relay in its place. Then the coil side of the relay will connect to your high beams. It is a real simple mod to do.

John
Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM

You just need to pick up a small relay that you can get from Radio Shack. Look at the circuit and see how it is setup. That will determine what type of relay you need. I wish i could help more, but i would need to see the remote up close.

John
Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 AM

OK I think I confused you. There are two ways to make this work. I will list them out below.

1. You would solder the leads on S1 together making the button active all the time. Then you would hook the power from your high beams to the battery leads on the remote. The issue on your remote is it has a 3v battery. You would have to convert the 12v from the car to 3v that the remote could handle. It is doable from Radio Shack parts, but it is not the easiest to do, especially since they dont sell a 3v regulator.

2. The second way to do this would be to leave the 3v battery alone and just use the high beams power to actuate the S1 switch. So if you remove the switch from the board and solder on a short set of wires. Then you would use a relay to trigger the S1 contacts via the short leads. You have to use the relay because you need to build a switch. What you do is take the relays coil side and hook it to the power from the high beams. Then you take the switch side and hook the normally open circuit to the leads that go to S1. When you energize the coil on the relay it closes the switch and causes S1 to make contact.

I hope that helps you understand a little better. This is not the easiest thing to explain by writing it out. You cab use a small relay from Radio Shack since your current demands are low.

Here is some relay info:
Relay information

John
Old 03-17-2009, 02:27 PM

You will need the voltage regulator in the link below. The hard part is it is adjustable. So you will need extra parts to get it to regulate to 3v. The back of the regulator packing should have the info you need.

Voltage Regulator

John
Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 AM

I am not really familiar with that regulator. That is why I suggested that you do the other method. If you Google LM317T or LM317T 3v I am sure you will find a bunch of documentation on how to build the circuit. I think at a minimum you need two resistors to set the output voltage. The package from Radio Shack should have some info in it.

John
Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

You can find a circuit diagram here

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM317.html#...l%20Description

A couple of 1uF capactiors for safety, a 240 Ohm resistor, and a 5k pot (variable resistor). You adjust the variable resistor to get the desired output voltage, in your case 3V.

Quick Reply: stupid highbeam/garage door mod question