S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Stock Intake tube mod

Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Intake tube mod

I'm looking for a cleaner look inside my engine bay. Not looking for any HP gains or loss. My idea was to replace the stock tube with the K&N tube (smoother surface) and retrofit it with the stock box, but it seems like making the pipe fit there is going to be a PITA because both of them bend differently. I want to stay away from metal tubing though; I don't want to transfer more heat. Any ideas? Does anyone know why the tube was designed with that pattern line??

I know an aftermarket intake would be the easier way but I want something unique and close to stock. Currently I'm filling in the line pattern on the intake box lid and painting black and clear coat for a smooth and shiny surface. Will post pics when I'm done with that.

A lot more sanding and wiping to do lol.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Interesting to say the least.. you could try one of those "samco" type hoses to replace the stock arm
Old 08-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I actually did the same thing a while back with my lid and painted it black. I also had a black Samco arm and it looked sweet, I just didn't get a pic of it with the arm installed too.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 AM

Wow! Just the way I want it to look! lol.. Suzuka did you use a spray gun and automotive paint or did you use rattle can paint?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For that I just used rattle can paint and it held up fine while I had it (I used Ace Hardware brand spray paint, it's actually better than most i've used and goes on super smooth. That is without any clear coat or anything and it was super glossy). I took it off and installed a PWJDM carbon lid, and ended up getting rid of that too. I actually still have the lid sitting in my closet still haha.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Lol nice! I'll probably try to spray it with the gun cuz I already have some automotive paint left over from other jobs. thanks for the input. I'll look into the SAMCO tube.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:20 PM

what did you use to fill in the grooves? Bondo??
Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by blobianco
what did you use to fill in the grooves? Bondo??
Yes I used bondo and putty (not mixed) to get a smoother surface. I don't think you are suppose to fill in big holes with bondo cuz it might crack, but I don't think the lid flexes enough to cause this.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 AM

Not to be the kill joy of the group, but the stock plastic airbox holds a lot of heat once you get stopped in traffic for a while. It's the main reason I went to the Injen CAI. The metal tubing will heat up, but once underway, it cools off pretty quick....so don't let that stop you from using CAI tubing in your fabrication process.

My IATs do rise when stuck in traffic with the CAI, but they come back down much quicker than with the stock airbox. My FlshPro logs confirmed this.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by xredjar
Not to be the kill joy of the group, but the stock plastic airbox holds a lot of heat once you get stopped in traffic for a while. It's the main reason I went to the Injen CAI. The metal tubing will heat up, but once underway, it cools off pretty quick....so don't let that stop you from using CAI tubing in your fabrication process.

My IATs do rise when stuck in traffic with the CAI, but they come back down much quicker than with the stock airbox. My FlshPro logs confirmed this.
Oh ok.. well if the box already holds lots of heat then it wouldn't be a good idea to pair it with a metal tube. I guess it's ideal for CAI, but not so much if I'm thinkling about keeping the stock box.

Quick Reply: Stock Intake tube mod