S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

So Im feeding cooler air to my filter......

Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Im feeding cooler air to my filter......

I have the AEM V2 CAI and I cut out a large piece out of that part that is under the passenger side headlight on the front of my bumper that looks like a closed vent. I dunno what the damn thing is called, but Im sure u know what Im talkin about. Well I figured it would help atleast a little to feed cooler air to my filter which is sitting right there. Kinda like the snorkel setup, only kinda different. Afterwards, I installed a mesh grill there so it wouldnt be completely open. Or was this a pointless/dumb move?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Good idea for cool air, bad idea for water. V2s are already at a risk for accumulating water because the filter sticks up on the end, creating an elbow for water to collect. I would think about one of those filter covers that supposedly sheds away water. I don't think the area with the filter has a lack of cool air going to it, but it couldn't hurt to have more, right? I think it was a good idea. How does it look with the hole cut out?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by jay12187,Apr 10 2008, 10:52 PM
Good idea for cool air, bad idea for water. V2s are already at a risk for accumulating water because the filter sticks up on the end, creating an elbow for water to collect. I would think about one of those filter covers that supposedly sheds away water. I don't think the area with the filter has a lack of cool air going to it, but it couldn't hurt to have more, right? I think it was a good idea. How does it look with the hole cut out?
actually, whats nice about the V2 is that it came with a pre-drilled hole at the elbow in case some water gets in there and a rubber plug that blocks that hole at the top of our hood bay, besides its a long way from the TB and we dont get much rain out here in so cal, and if it does rain hard, I wont drive in it. But I also heard we'd have to drive through a pretty big and deep puddle to hydrolock these V2's. With the mesh grill there, it actually looks pretty cool to match my center mesh grill and u cant even tell there is a hole behind the mesh grill unless u look in there with a flashlight. Also, I forgot to mention, only half of the filter is visible off to the side of the hole. The filter doesnt completely show its entire self at the hole.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Good info, I guess I was looking at older V2s without said hole. I guess I will have to buy a new one then instead of trolling the for sale forum for a used one. If it looks good and you like it, I think it is perfect.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by yorkman1,Apr 10 2008, 11:07 PM
nice! Im glad Im not the only one! Did u notice if it helped much with anything? Also, is the CAI sound slightly louder? Esp. that whistling sound?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 AM

put in their pattented....ah...what the hell is it called....

they came out with it a few yrs back its this foam thing that goes into the piping it changes the density of the air charge. their ad showed a motor with a fuilter ocmpletely submerged in a tank of water with the engine running fine.

it just changes pressure in the intake tube so water cant travel up it.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 AM

very nice idea!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by street_ruler,Apr 11 2008, 06:36 AM
put in their pattented....ah...what the hell is it called....

they came out with it a few yrs back its this foam thing that goes into the piping it changes the density of the air charge. their ad showed a motor with a fuilter ocmpletely submerged in a tank of water with the engine running fine.

it just changes pressure in the intake tube so water cant travel up it.
You're talking about an AEM air bypass valve to prevent hyrolock. These don't work with V2 CAI's though.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i did the same on my turbo s2000. My IAT's dropped a good 10-20 degrees running the same setup! Also helps my intercooler as well, as the temp increase under boost isnt as great!

Quick Reply: So Im feeding cooler air to my filter......