S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

shift knob

Old 11-02-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default shift knob

Is the Honda S2000 CR shift knob any good
Old 11-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,249 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Seems to work fine. It's a standard Honda Civic part with yellow lettering. Don't pay a premium 'cuz it's a "CR" part! I blackened the lettering on mine.

There's a CR radio door on the car too. The silver radio door -- the only silver in the interior of an '06 -- was too garish for me.

-- Chuck

Name:  IMG_1974_zpschltz3yu.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  186.6 KB
Old 11-02-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Its Aluminum. I don't get why shift knobs are made from AL, or titanium, or other lightweight metals. A heavy shift knob makes for better shifts. Stainless Steel is ideal.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,396 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by Xeon
Is the Honda S2000 CR shift knob any good

​​​​​​​CR shift knobs are at least 200% more reliable than others. According to multiple studies done by the institution for fisted persons, the CR knob prevents failure of the falanges at rates of 6% slower than non CR knobs. This is scientifically significant if you consider that the failure rates for falanges is higher this year since its 2016. Also, CR knobs are made from aluminum. Did you know that in the 19th century, aluminum was worth more than platinum? The society for time travelling shift knob shifters has rated the CR knob a sound investment for selling to 19th century suckers at high overall price for low overall cost. Time machines will likely be entirely made from CR knobs.

Any good, you ask?!!

The BEST, I say.

Last edited by B serious; 11-03-2016 at 07:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mmmmmic (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Its Aluminum. I don't get why shift knobs are made from AL, or titanium, or other lightweight metals. A heavy shift knob makes for better shifts. Stainless Steel is ideal.
The point of aluminum or titanium knobs is that they're lighter. For common metal knobs....aluminum is lightest . Ti is heavier than aluminum. SS is heaviest. So...you have light, medium, heavy. Depends on how you want the shifter to respond. Personal preference.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Yeah, I guess I'm not seeing why anyone would want the feel of a lighter shift knob. Not to mention pay a lot extra for that inferior feel by paying a premium for Ti (compared to something like SS).

What is about a lighter shift knob people find appealing?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Delrin knobs on my S & Z.

Doesn't get hot or cold.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 11-03-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
CR shift knobs are at least 200% more reliable than others. According to multiple studies done by the institution for fisted persons, the CR knob prevents failure of the falanges at rates of 6% slower than non CR knobs. This is scientifically significant if you consider that the failure rates for falanges is higher this year since its 2016. Also, CR knobs are made from aluminum. Did you know that in the 19th century, aluminum was worth more than platinum? The society for time travelling shift knob shifters has rated the CR knob a sound investment for selling to 19th century suckers at high overall price for low overall cost. Time machines will likely be entirely made from CR knobs.

Any good, you ask?!!

The BEST, I say.
​​​​​​​this made my day. Thank you
Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Yeah, I guess I'm not seeing why anyone would want the feel of a lighter shift knob. Not to mention pay a lot extra for that inferior feel by paying a premium for Ti (compared to something like SS).

What is about a lighter shift knob people find appealing?
The "right" shifter feel is subjective. I like my CR knob because of how it fits my hand. I've tried heavy knobs and they don't do much for me. Appearance (Ti, SS, Al all have different shades) is also a factor. I like machined aluminum's brightness.

Plus...sometimes people just want an exotic metal like Ti for nothing more than "its Ti". Its a shift knob. So...preferences like that are important.

Functionally, they're all awful because of the temperature conductivity for metal, and its ability to scratch. RHD cars with metal knobs are probably annoying for people with wedding rings.

Delrin or leather is good functionally because of its temperature insulation. But...delrin was way too light for me.

For me, aluminum works. The CR knob looks nice and fits my hand nicely. The FD2 CTR knob is similar. I have that in my TSX. In winter, I use a dollar store cotton glove to cover the merciless metal knob.

I have never been subjected to a "too hot" shift knob because I am impervious to all heat. I could probably shift using a piece of the actual sun.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by S_DosMil
​​​​​​​this made my day. Thank you
+2

Quick Reply: shift knob