S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Science of speed twin disc carbon clutch review

Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Science of speed twin disc carbon clutch review

I have been driving on the clutch for well over 1000 miles all ready I can tell you that this is the best street able high power s2000 clutch there is on the market for a oem s2000 transmission.

In terms of single disc clutches the only streetable clutch is the act Hdss. It drive like stock with a stiffer clutch peddle. Holds about 370wtq. All other single disc puck style clutches like the cc stage 4 and such hold lots of power but in my opinion are not street able because they can't be slipped very well in normal stop and go traffic and these stye of clutches will make you hate your car if u drive on the street with stop and go traffic.

The sos twin disc has 8 carbon on carbon surfaces. The flywheel surface is carbon, both disc are carbon, even the mid plate and pressure plate is carbon. There is no metal surfaces on the clutch. the clutch pedal is as soft like a stock clutch and the clutch can be slipped just like stock. Drives as easy as a stock clutch and it hold big power. Holds my 620whp and 450tq like nothing with a soft clutch pedal and stock drivability. When you are at idel with the clutch pedal down the noise from the clutch is very very minimal compared to other twin disc clutches.

I don't know about longevity. I hear lots of other twin disc like the cc twin don't last very long but I hope the sos twin can last like a stock clucth but only time will tell.

If you have a street car Run the act Hdss clucth if your under 550whp 370tq anything over run the sos twin. All other clutches will compromise daily driving stop and go traffic drivability. If you have a high power race/drag/track car then run any twin disc or single disc puck clutch as drivability does not matter.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a quality part from the pics your car must be scary to drive hard
Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got 16k miles on mine so far, still grabs just as hard as when I first got it. I love it.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome review man! Looks tempting. If I was going for big power this sounds like the ideal set up.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I still "like" my SOS sport clutch kit, but I was a bit disappointed to find that it does chatter a good bit when trying to slip it from a stop. Interesting to know that the SOS twin disc can be slipped just like stock without chatter. I am a big fan of SOS products. Thanks for the review.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:15 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
I still "like" my SOS sport clutch kit, but I was a bit disappointed to find that it does chatter a good bit when trying to slip it from a stop. Interesting to know that the SOS twin disc can be slipped just like stock without chatter. I am a big fan of SOS products. Thanks for the review.
This clutch there no chatter at all. For the price of the sos sport clutch i rather have a act hdss. The act will hold way more power and drive like stock with a heaver clutch pedal.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by riceball777
Originally Posted by CoolGuy094' timestamp='1416335948' post='23409758
This clutch there no chatter at all. For the price of the sos sport clutch i rather have a act hdss. The act will hold way more power and drive like stock with a heaver clutch pedal.
I hear you, and that was my plan when I was buying for my build. Unfortunately the ACT HD PP was on backorder with no end in sight when I needed it. I sat on the order for a month before giving up and going with the SOS Sport. Looking back, I should have waited it out for the ACT.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review and good to hear. Want to get this in the future for sure.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried the Ballade Sports Force Induction Clutch Kit?

I am considering that or an ACT HD PP
Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to disagree on a CC Stage 4 not being daily driveable. I've got about 2K-3K on mine right now and after getting used to it, it's really just barely any more difficult to manage than the OEM clutch. I imagine as well that as I drive it even more it'll become more natural. It can definitely still be slowly slipped for a smooth engagement.

Quick Reply: Science of speed twin disc carbon clutch review