S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Roll Cage - Protecting for Side Impact

Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarBoN
that door bar you pictured requires the cutting of the inner door skin, the door bar protrudes out, you will loose the use of your window, you will need to remove it or have it always up, that owner cut up his door panel and put it back on for looks

also that door bar is goin to require cage work up front, a front cross bar under the dash, a vertical bar by the front a pillar for it to connect to

your stock doors have door bars in them, and with a aftermarket door bar like you pictured will require you to remove the stock door bars

you should do alot more research on roll bars/cages
Thats why im asking about it on the forum!

And there might be a bar in the door but it doesnt do enough...
Plenty more pictures where that came from.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like others have said, the side bar pretty much requires a full cage. and driving with a full cage without a helmet 100% of the time is very dangerous.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
And jsen i mentioned that i want this style paired with the side...
yeah i see that... there is not much strength to that. Side bars tie into a full cage, they tie into the a and b pilar of a roll cage so without an a pilar what would you expect the front to tie into? If you just had it comeing up from the floor in the front it wouldn't add any strength. If you want side impact you need a full cage. And if you go with a full cage and side impact expect to lose your door skin, speakers, half a door panel, window glass, and any movement of your seats front and back.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM

I dont know anything about roll cages which is why i opened the thread. Thanks for the info. Not willing to loose all that...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM

i think the point that may or not have been made is that those style bars anchor to the vertical front beam and that's where they get their strength from. which happens to be the beam you arent going to have or atleast dont want.

if you are really that concerned about side impact then you are somewhat screwed.

also i have the feeling that some of those cars wouldnt have been saved by a door bar. they look like they were hit with something hevy or something going really fast or both.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I wouldn't worry about those pictures anyways... the passenger seems to be the one getting creamed, driver side looks good!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Lol because it happened on that side!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM

you cant be that worried about side impact collisions, besides for you to do that kind of damage you would need to be flying and slide sideways into like a telephone pole or something, so dont drive like an ass hole and you should be fine
Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 PM

I actually got tboned in my S back in 08. I was going maybe 40ish when a lady in a van tried to cut across the street and plowed into my drivers side door. I was fine. The S held up quite nicely considering the circumstances. Total bullshit though because car was literally 5 months old at the time so it got fixed not totalled bill came out to like 8gs. New door mirror fender and some paint but no frame damage. Atleast print was still so new you couldn't tell difference. Those cars were like hit by trains or buses or hit poles.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
Originally Posted by CarBoN' timestamp='1309763213' post='20744581
that door bar you pictured requires the cutting of the inner door skin, the door bar protrudes out, you will loose the use of your window, you will need to remove it or have it always up, that owner cut up his door panel and put it back on for looks

also that door bar is goin to require cage work up front, a front cross bar under the dash, a vertical bar by the front a pillar for it to connect to

your stock doors have door bars in them, and with a aftermarket door bar like you pictured will require you to remove the stock door bars

you should do alot more research on roll bars/cages
Thats why im asking about it on the forum!

And there might be a bar in the door but it doesnt do enough...
Plenty more pictures where that came from.

if you get hit that hard, the bar itself will be the thing that kills you

Quick Reply: Roll Cage - Protecting for Side Impact