S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Resonator/premuffler Removal

Old 07-08-2004, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Resonator/premuffler Removal

I've checked the FAQ and couldn't find an answer: Has anyone here removed the resonator/pre-muffler and left the rest of the oem exhaust system intact? How does it sound? ( I did this with my '03 Accord 6-speed and it sounds great!)
Thinking of doing this when my S2000 comes off lease. (I'm definately keeping it!)
Thanks!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:21 AM

I do on my S
Not very loud but the sound is
more interesting.
This is the first step before you change
your muffler and it`s OK
Old 07-09-2004, 02:57 AM

One interesting aspect you may like to look into is the Helmholtz resonator (?).
This is the little can/tube that sticks out sideways from the exhaust pipe.

Some/most(?) aftermarket exhausts for the s2000 do not have this.

From what I remember from other posts on here, it helps to remove the droning resonance that you can get around 4000 (?) rpm. It does not really hurt performance.

This of course is probably not to what you were referring to, but just something you may encounter in the process.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:47 AM

Thanks, I wondered what that little pipe was for. I'm guessing the part I'm thinking about is a pre-muffler. I removed this first on the Accord and didn't notice much difference, so I went back and removed the resonator. Sounds great now, sort of 350Z like. Le Coq, did you remove both the muffler- like piece and the
short pipe that is perpendicular to the rest of the exhaust system?
Old 07-09-2004, 02:40 PM

Le Coq,
Can you elaborate on the "more interesting" sound you get by removing the resonator?

My issue is that I would like a little deeper/very slightly louder sound, so I'm leary about getting a complete aftermarket exhaust. But at the same time I'm looking for a better sound, not just more noise. If removing the resonator will just give me more of what is already coming out of the factory cans, I think I'd like that. That would save a boat load of cash too.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:01 PM
R11

I took mine in to a muffler shop and had the resonatorectomy done a few months ago. As far as I'm concerned the car should come stock this way. It is a fairly subtle change which you will hardly notice when just cruising on the freeway. The stock exhaust is so overly muffled that it's pretty much covered up by the engine sound. With the resonator removed it opens up the exhaust enough so that you can actually hear it, and balances the engine/exhaust sound out nicely. It adds a nice tone which is most noticeable during accel and decel, especially in the midrange between 4-6K. It causes NO droning whatsoever and does not sound ricey in any way. It's a great alternative on a daily driver or for someone who just doesn't want a loud car. For $40 it's a no brainer to me. I left the Helmholtz tube in place and intact on mine.

ron
Old 07-10-2004, 01:12 AM

with R11
Old 07-10-2004, 05:30 AM

Thanks guys! Mod #1 when my lease is up!
Old 07-10-2004, 10:36 AM

I also did this. Just removed the resonator. I really do like the sound, and even at idle, my car next to a stock one sounds different. With revs, it almost gives it a nice rasp in the mid range, again as stated earlier...a la 350Z.

Also, as stated earlier, in the midrange it is more noticeable. I have had many people ask what kind of exhaust it is, and when i reply with stock, they are shocked until I tell them what I did.

If you have this done, make sure they weld in the new one very well. I had to go back because the moron didnt weld along the top of the pipe and my car sounded like a civic with a fart can that had a hole in it...very very bad sound!!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny--2K,Jul 10 2004, 10:36 AM
I also did this. Just removed the resonator. I really do like the sound, and even at idle, my car next to a stock one sounds different. With revs, it almost gives it a nice rasp in the mid range, again as stated earlier...a la 350Z.

Also, as stated earlier, in the midrange it is more noticeable. I have had many people ask what kind of exhaust it is, and when i reply with stock, they are shocked until I tell them what I did.

If you have this done, make sure they weld in the new one very well. I had to go back because the moron didnt weld along the top of the pipe and my car sounded like a civic with a fart can that had a hole in it...very very bad sound!!
what do you mean by welding in a new one? i thought you completely removed the resonator?

Quick Reply: Resonator/premuffler Removal