S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Replacement seats and soft top

Old 07-27-2013 | 02:31 PM

Default Replacement seats and soft top

I am looking to buy new seats and a soft top. Someone slashed my roof and stole my seats. Does anyone have any advice? My Honda dealer quoted me at $10,000 - $15,000 for just the seats, which seems insane since I am seeing them on eBay for < $1,000. Thank you in advance for your advice!
Old 07-28-2013 | 05:47 AM

Recaro pole position seems to be a popular choice.but u need a smaller waist for it.I love the sparco street fighter.haven't puttem in the s yet but plan to at tax time.or just get OEM yourself and install yourself.order a Robbins top.pretty cheap and good quality and then call around to see which shops can install the top for ya cheapest.good luck and sorry to hear bud
Old 07-28-2013 | 10:49 PM

Crazy dealers...stay away from them unless there is someone there you REALLY trust

An OEM softtop on ebay is less than $1k brand new with glass rear window and defrost (installation is not difficult)

As you mentioned, OEM seats are around $1k used in great condition (mind the model year for compatibility though)

Aftermarket seats (from a reputable company) are also an option (research on seat rails and model year compatibility though)

An authentic Mugen Hardtop or OEM Hardtop (trust me, all needed components are included and will not give you problems) for your roof are also options

Best of luck
Old 07-29-2013 | 01:02 AM

$15,000 sounds about right. thats what I paid for mine.
Old 07-29-2013 | 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by SpaJenniOs
My Honda dealer quoted me at $10,000 - $15,000 for just the seats, which seems insane since I am seeing them on eBay for < $1,000.
Apples and oranges (new versus used). That's why S's tend to get totaled when the tops are slashed and the seats are stolen. This is a very common topic so don't overlook the prior threads. Many go for used seats (make sure you're not buying someone else's stolen seats) or aftermarket.
Old 07-30-2013 | 03:36 PM

I have been reading other posts over the weekend and found a few comments hidden under a lot of useless "I'm buying a gun" quips. I appreciate the useful comments so far.

My insurance will cover a new roof and used OEM seats. I'm not thrilled about used seats since I kept good care of mine, but they said my car was totaled otherwise. I believe they came to an agreement of about $7,000 for parts and labor.

I wanted to take some extra precautions this time around. Has anyone had any experience with:
1. Vin etching the seats
2. Locking lugs for the seats (I saw McGard and Gorilla, but was not able to tell if they keys are unique to each set).
3. 2-way alarm with proximity sensor that can txt me if my car is breached (I do not use the car to go to work so it sits in my home garage all day).

I don't have the option to park in another place. I am parking in a garage that is supposed to be accessible by my neighbors only. Unfortunately, someone with access to the garage vandalized my car. It could have been a neighbor, employee or friend of either. I probably won't find out because the only video camera is in the elevator. At this point I want to do something that deters them from coming back to my assigned space and trying to steal my seats again.
Old 07-30-2013 | 11:23 PM

Get kodokan seat locks. About 65$. They have slanted sides so you cant grip it. Only with the key.

$7k seat replacement..
= $600-$800 for seats. $6.2k for turbo? but at the cost of car being totaled.
Old 07-31-2013 | 04:01 AM

Look into your local forum for seats for sale. Get a new soft top and pm Billman for installation if your close to New York. He might have seats as well.
Pm if u need further assistance
Old 08-02-2013 | 09:47 AM

Thanks guys. My dealer is replacing the top with a new part. The seats are used from a recycling center upstate. I am stopping by the dealer to see what condition they are in tomorrow. My insurance claims they will pay to clean up the seats (detailing, new covers etc) if I am not happy with their condition.

I tried contacting Kodokan for seat locks but he has not responded yet. The dealer wants to start working on the car on Monday so I am running out of time. I do not have a secure place to store the car until Kodokan responds.

I tried calling McGard and they gave me a guys name / email / phone number to call (Peter C). I don't know if this is the same person as Kodokan or...?

Someone suggested these. I have no idea if they are strong enough to bolt the seat to the car:
http://www.amazon.com/McGard-77796-C...nter+cap+locks

I was considering pouring Mighty Putty (epoxy) in top of the bolts that secure the seat and using a thread lock liquid. I don't plan on removing the seats for the life of the car so I don't mind if they are stuck on there for the life of the car.
Old 08-02-2013 | 12:50 PM

I've read of someone mentioning getting longer bolts and put a nut under the car. That way they would have to lift the car to unbolt the seats.