S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Removing the dash

Old 11-27-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the dash

Hey everyone,

I've been looking around for hours on how to remove the dash. I bought a dash that has been cut and installed bezel. I just can't figure out on how to remove my original dash.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Removing the dash is a giant PITA, mainly because of how the various wiring harnesses wrap around all of the ducting and I believe that the steering column goes through a portion of it. I don't have a specific DIY, but it will likely take a first-timer over 3 hours.

A cliffs notes version (from memory):
-Disconnect battery and let car sit for 5-10 min since you will be disconnecting SRS harnesses.
-Pop off the side panels, knee pad panels, passenger underside panels to remove nuts and bolts. Once passenger underpanel is off, you can access the PS airbag and remove it.
-Lower Steering column (IIRC you either need to cut a portion of the dash that goes around the steering column or you need to pull the column completely).
-Remove gauge cluster and dash controls
-Remove stereo head unit
-Clip the zip ties or disconnect somehow (good luck!!) all the wiring harnesses that are attached to the dashboard
-Once every possible harness is loose from the dash and the dash itself isn't mounted to anything, there's 1 harness that is intertwined between the air vents towards the middle of the dash. 2-3 sets of vents are screwed together with machine screws towards the center-rear of the dash. To access them, you need to tilt the dash down towards the shifter and reach between the windshield and dash to remove the screws and allow the harness to come out. Then the dash should come out.

It's not terribly hard, just very time consuming because there are a lot of things attached to the dash or in the way of it from coming out. I'm sure i missed a lot, but you just need to keep tugging at the dash to see what's connected to it and remove them. I suggest you take a lot of pictures or buy a lot of baggies if you want to remember where everything goes when you put it back together.

IMO, it would be easier to cut your current dash and install the bezel rather than swap dashes. Then later, if you want to go back to a stock dash, buy a dashboard for $50 (that's the going rate around SoCal) and THEN go through the hassle of a dash swap. No use going through a dash swap twice (once now and again later if you want to revert), unless you need to keep your current dash uncut for some reason.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Google "Qube engineering S2000" pick AP1 or AP2. Use drop down " Documentation". Detailed information on process. Company makes custom gauge cluster led's.

utah
Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Google "Qube engineering S2000" pick AP1 or AP2. Use drop down " Documentation". Detailed information on process. Company makes custom gauge cluster led's.

utah
That will help him get the cluster out, but what about the dash?
Old 12-25-2017, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not a hard task just time consuming I was able to do it by myself the hardest part is getting the harness to release from the zip tie push pins. You will have to remove the gauge cluster and steering wheel and passenger air bag as there are screws behind that stuff.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...hboard-399061/