S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Removed clutch delay

Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed clutch delay

So I have a 05 AP2 and as you guys know us AP2 guys have the clutch delay. Well I have many mods done to my car and found since I installed my 4.77 gears the clutch delay has really been slowing me down. When I go WOT I notice that it slips the clutch so bad from 2nd to 3rd that by the time I have to shift into 4th it is still doing it .. ( I have to shift fast with 4.77's).. So I went to a buddies house and he helped me take it out and WOW. HUGE DIFFERENCE! It grabs almost instant now and feels like I have more power. Only because it is putting all the power to the ground .. From 1st to 2nd my back end gets really loose and some what into 3rd also. I think this is a good free mod for a AP2. My other friend took it out of his AP2 that day also and said it made the car feel much better and now it is not wasting away at the clutch. I know it is suppose to take shock away from the diff, but I don't ever launch my car so I think I will be fine. Just thought I would let you guys know
Old 08-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn im really contemplating doing this myself, i only have i/h/e and looking to get 4.44 or 4.57. I hear from someone local that after taking out the delay it fried their clutch prematurelly, dont know more details than that. And most people say take it out, im thinking maybe wait untill i get an aftermarket clutch?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=05Silverbeast,Aug 31 2009, 01:30 PM] So I have a 05 AP2 and as you guys know us AP2 guys have the clutch delay. Well I have many mods done to my car and found since I installed my 4.77 gears the clutch delay has really been slowing me down. When I go WOT I notice that it slips the clutch so bad from 2nd to 3rd that by the time I have to shift into 4th it is still doing it
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SvkBBS2k,Aug 31 2009, 01:42 PM
Damn im really contemplating doing this myself, i only have i/h/e and looking to get 4.44 or 4.57. I hear from someone local that after taking out the delay it fried their clutch prematurelly, dont know more details than that. And most people say take it out, im thinking maybe wait untill i get an aftermarket clutch?
Doesn't make sense how it could of fried his clutch seeing that if you don't take it out it will fry your clutch. He maybe didn't get all the air bubbles out of the fluid.. because when I first took my car out for a drive it wouldn't really grab in 3rd and would not grab in 4th at all if I was shifting fast and on WOT. But I drove it around for like 30 mins and go on it again and it has been working great ever since. I think I had a few air bubbles and when they went away it was all normal again 1st to 2nd is a wild animal now haha
Old 08-31-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds,Aug 31 2009, 01:50 PM
I removed my CDV and like it. If I speedshift to hard too early from 2nd to 3rd it will slip a bit but that's prolly cause I cooked the clutch before I removed the CDV. I plan on swapping the clutch at some point and going with an AP1 flywheel and P.P. I'm thinking this will be a good combo (I am NA and will stay that way).
Yeah I cooked my clutch for about 30K miles now with this damn delay crap so now I am going to see how much more life I can get from this clutch then get a ap1 flywheel and after market clutch and PP
Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 PM

I just went out and replaced mine with one from a AP1...
Old 08-31-2009, 02:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah thats what i thought i keep on going back and fourth on this. If the delay valve was put there to stop me from destroying my diff than im going to take it out considering i never launch my car. Noone has experienced any draw backs to taking it out?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 05Silverbeast,Aug 31 2009, 02:53 PM
Doesn't make sense how it could of fried his clutch seeing that if you don't take it out it will fry your clutch. He maybe didn't get all the air bubbles out of the fluid.. because when I first took my car out for a drive it wouldn't really grab in 3rd and would not grab in 4th at all if I was shifting fast and on WOT. But I drove it around for like 30 mins and go on it again and it has been working great ever since. I think I had a few air bubbles and when they went away it was all normal again 1st to 2nd is a wild animal now haha
I've actually heard many people say that as well (btw i removed mine maybe 10k miles ago and love it, no regrets). My only theory is that they shift sloppily, possibly not rev-matching properly (with either up or down shifting). So now the clutch is doing more work since it's trying to grab on immediately, but the RPM's are way out of range...whereas before, it was like you were permanently feathering the clutch, which is worse than a proper cdv-less shift, but not as bad as a completely out-of-range rpm shift.

But that's just a cursory theory, I haven't tried investigating the geeky science behind it yet.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 PM

So removing the CDV will put more stress on your Diff, rather than stress on clutch with it in?

How bad is it for the diff. ?
I was thinking of this too. only have 16k on mine so maybe its not to late.
I dont drag it, but I would say that I do drive it hard at times.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM

I strongly recommend waiting until you replace the pressure plate before removing the delay valve. My clutch was slipping very slightly so i removed the delay valve and all of a sudden it was three times worse. If i shifted at 8k into second my clutch float until i shifted into 3rd.

The delay valve is there not only to protect the diff but to cover up the piece of garbage pressure plate that doesnt even hold near stock power.

Wait until you get a new pressure plate before removing! I installed clutch masters stage 3 and ap1 flywheel and man does it grab!

Quick Reply: Removed clutch delay