S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Recommend me a clutch setup for CT S/C Kit

Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a clutch setup for CT S/C Kit

Going with the CT Engineering kit for the AP1

Which clutch/flywheel/pressure plate would be the most suitable in terms of reliability and suitable for that power band?

The car will be a dedicated weekend warrior so stiff will work, but not necessary.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're on a AP1.. Re-use the AP1 flywheel (12-14 lbs) or something lighter, completely up to you. (avoid aluminum flywheels)

ACT Pressure Plate or SOS Kit

OEM Clutch disk
Old 03-02-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I liked the SPEC Stage 3+ clutch kit with AP1 flywheel when my AP2 was supercharged
Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by theprophet36
I liked the SPEC Stage 3+ clutch kit with AP1 flywheel when my AP2 was supercharged
OEM bearings and OEM clutch disk will give you long term reliability (and good pedal feel too)

Mostly everything else has a greater risk.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by theprophet36
I liked my SPEC Stage 2+... never. It buzzed from day one and 3 spring pockets failed in the clutch disk after something like 20k miles, on a bone stock engine. A few track days, autocrosses, and Dragon trips, but nothing too crazy

SOS or ACT HD pressure plate + OEM clutch disk. Drives great and holds as well as you'll need and then some. Oh, and a bunch more reliable!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:08 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by theprophet36' timestamp='1425316368' post='23524461
I liked my SPEC Stage 2+... never. It buzzed from day one and 3 spring pockets failed in the clutch disk after something like 20k miles, on a bone stock engine. A few track days, autocrosses, and Dragon trips, but nothing too crazy

SOS or ACT HD pressure plate + OEM clutch disk. Drives great and holds as well as you'll need and then some. Oh, and a bunch more reliable!
Sucks you had a bad experience. I was very happy. No buzz, great pedal feel, never slipped once under boost.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Sounds like you have no need for a stiffer pp, so go with a stock pp, stock disc, and a lightweight flywheel might be the ticket.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Sounds like you have no need for a stiffer pp, so go with a stock pp, stock disc, and a lightweight flywheel might be the ticket.
Who me, or the op?

I do need a bit more than oem now... you'll see in April
Old 03-04-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Clutch SOS is offering, what about their bearing?

Flywheel I think I'll stick with AP1 OEM, what about pressure plate then...

Price isn't a issue, I'd like reliability and ease of use > the power factor

Thanks guys
Old 03-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are several threads as already pointed out on which options for ~400whp supercharger solutions, I can save you the leg work, the favorites and consensus are you have three good options:

1. SOS sport clutch (http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc.../Sport_Clutch/)
2. ACT pressure plate with OEM friction disc (this will have oem engagement characteristics but will be harder on your drivetrain and your leg since the pedal will be harder (http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/prod...cat=145&page=1)
3. Ballade FI clutch (http://www.balladesports.com/product...-sports-clutch)

I personally own the SOS sport clutch but might try the Ballade once this one goes out since it has a really good price, looks promising and their stuff is always great quality. The SOS is nice that it keeps pedal effort relatively light like stock for those of us who live in congested bumper to bumper traffic areas, however it still chatters a little when cold and has a slightly more abrupt engagement than stock.

Quick Reply: Recommend me a clutch setup for CT S/C Kit