S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Radiator Hoses

Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator Hoses

TL;DR Are flexible radiator hoses feasible for day-to-day use?

I am, after 4 years, still messing around with my intake and routing it away from the hotter parts of the engine. One of my solutions involves running it like this. However; as you can see, the radiator hose does not let me do this.

[attachment=33868SC01058.JPG]

A few colleagues of mine, who's sole purpose is strictly for me to bounce ideas off of, claim that flexible radiator hose are to be used only in temporary or emergency situations. Is there any validity to this? If so, can someone please elaborate? If not, is it advisable to replace my restrictive pre-bent radiator hose with something like these?

http://www.summitrac...-radiator-hoses
"These hoses meet or exceed SAE J20R4, D1 specifications."

Thanks in advance,
**Note** I am only using the 3" dryer flexible hose to simulate the intake tubing location.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator Hoses-dsc01058.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 AM

Talked to an employee @ Autozone while picking up a qt of oil.

He further reinforces the notion that the only reason these flex hoses are not used is because they are hard to bracket and brace properly. A sagging hose would create extra weight on a certain area. After time this area would likely sag even more; to the point of rubbing against something. After enough rubbing something bad always happens.

I mentioned bracketing it properly and he saw no substantiating reason why the flex hoses wouldn't work.

Any thoughts?

--Matt
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, the guy at my Autozone was telling me about how Honda had a V8 S2000 that wasn't allowed to come to the US because it had too much power.

I take EVERYTHING those guys say with a grain of salt. I know that doesn't help you specifically with your question, but trying to put his statements in perspective.

I don't personally see why a flex hose wouldn't be acceptable if it meets all the same requirements as a regular one. The SoS Supercharger kit has you cut your stock hose and add a coupler to create the bend around the aftercooler. I'm sure at a minimum you could do something like that.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 AM

I take EVERYTHING those guys say with a grain of salt.
Exactly. That's why I came here.

The SoS Supercharger kit has you cut your stock hose and add a coupler to create the bend around the aftercooler

This may be a good option. It would also be substantially easier than getting a new hose connected under the intake manifold.

To 'the google' I go.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a good picture of it