S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Questions about snorkel intake

Old 05-23-2010, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about snorkel intake

i am currently looking for aftermarket intake for my s. since my s is daily drive and i live Vancouver where rains a lot, i really concern about hydrolock issue so i think i will go snorkel intake instead of CAI. I am thinking about spoon and J's ( mugen is way too expensive and PJDM has fitment issue, i think, base on my research on the forum..)
now the qusetions

1. Regarding to hydrolock, Snorkel intake seems way more safer than CAI ..but is it safe enough for long driving in rain? i do a lot of highway driving and again it rains a lot here. Of course i will avoid deep puddles.

2. any maintain issue for those snorkel intakes? (spoon or j's)

i think many of you guys have experience with snorkel intakes.. I need your advise.

thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No troubles with my spoon replica snorkel. Drove through heavy rain and my filter was still dry.

If you do a search for CAI and hydrolock, you'll learn something new.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:48 PM

i love my FIPK. sounds great!! I heard the snorkel is the best bang for your buck but i cant comment on how it sounds but i can say the FIPK sounds
Old 05-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

In Short, snorkels are safe and almost no risk of hydrolock unless you are almost submerged in water.

There is not extra maintenance you need to worry about, maybe your filter will get dirty faster...but just basic maintenance of cleaning or replacing the intake filter.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the snorkel for about 2 years. It is my daily driver. I put about 16,000 miles a years so there was a ton of driving. Even 1800 miles road trips. There is no worries of rain getting your filter too wet even if u drive behing 18 wheelers. The only problem was that you get alot of debris in ur airbox. Like alot of sand, rock, grass, small pieces of debris on the road and bugs! I found bettles, flies and bees. I did however notice that my filter was getting dirty alot quicker and the cleaning the filter intervals were getting shorter.

Also. Not sure about performance gains because I couldn't properly dynoprove it. I could replicate a real life stituation. I tried getting a blowwer/fan that was pretty powerful. But the only time I got "measurable" gains were when I switched to a k&n drop in filter. With the lid on it made as much power as stock, only when u take off the lid did it gain something. Well that was my experience and my proof is in my dyno sheets.

As a side not. It was surprising that a k&n filter gained about 6 whp. 60$/6whp = 10$ per horse power. That was a nice investment.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ans2k,May 23 2010, 01:09 PM
I had the snorkel for about 2 years. It is my daily driver. I put about 16,000 miles a years so there was a ton of driving. Even 1800 miles road trips. There is no worries of rain getting your filter too wet even if u drive behing 18 wheelers. The only problem was that you get alot of debris in ur airbox. Like alot of sand, rock, grass, small pieces of debris on the road and bugs! I found bettles, flies and bees. I did however notice that my filter was getting dirty alot quicker and the cleaning the filter intervals were getting shorter.

Also. Not sure about performance gains because I couldn't properly dynoprove it. I could replicate a real life stituation. I tried getting a blowwer/fan that was pretty powerful. But the only time I got "measurable" gains were when I switched to a k&n drop in filter. With the lid on it made as much power as stock, only when u take off the lid did it gain something. Well that was my experience and my proof is in my dyno sheets.

As a side not. It was surprising that a k&n filter gained about 6 whp. 60$/6whp = 10$ per horse power. That was a nice investment.
thanks a lot! definitely helpful!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K,May 23 2010, 12:54 PM
In Short, snorkels are safe and almost no risk of hydrolock unless you are almost submerged in water.

There is not extra maintenance you need to worry about, maybe your filter will get dirty faster...but just basic maintenance of cleaning or replacing the intake filter.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 PM

any comparsion between J's and Spoon intake? why spoon only make air duct instead of the whole intake system like J's?