S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Question about my Voltex GT Wing Type 3

Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so, I took the car on the freeway, and there is little swaying. On the freeway, swaying occurs when I hit bumps and occasionaly it sways on its own.

I just finished with adjusting the wing to zero angle. I can't test it cuz I ran out of day light

I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I'll remove the extensions for my next attempt if the wing continues to sway.

Just to make it clear. The wing should have absolutely no swaying under any and all circumstances? Because when I push the wing with some force (15-20lbs?), the wing does move a little.

I'll take a video tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about.

Alright, if there are anymore suggestions please let me know.

Btw, the car will be used primarily for street driving. But, I'll occasionally track and auto x the car. I live in New York, so that means I will see some bumpy roads.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSiNZQ0LVqk

cyber evo - watch from 2 mins in. If i get a chance i can do some translation
Old 04-13-2012, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by PUNCHIN-IT
Hey everyone, I just installed a 1600mm Voltex Gt Wing type 3. I'm using the highest setup which includes the 275mm bracket with 30mm bracket extension. The wing is mounted on my reinforced varis cf trunk (made to support GT wings).

The question is: Is it normal that my wing is swaying and flexing slightly during driving? When I look in my mirror, I can see it moving a little. I don't want to be driving and have my $2000+ wing fly and break off, its a huge concern for me right now.

The wing has been measured and is perfectly symmetrical.

Here is a pic of it mounted.

Thanks in advanced.
holy downforce batman! looks like you have it set up for MAX DF!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Eh I think the swaying just happens when the stands are to tall let's be honest the stands are not that sturdy Under daily driving at like 10mph I would hit a bump and I would watch the wing shake
Old 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Yes it'll sway from bumps but that wing generates huge df and more drag like I said. Even at 245 stands, this wing is plenty capable. Take off extensions as you have added unnecessary height and weight up top to cause more sway. If you want to run this, get safety ties
Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM

im going to go ahead and say it since noone else has...get a spare trunk and use that one you already have for when you do track it...completely stupid and pointless to ride around looking like a shopping cart if youre daily driving
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM

I didn't get a chance to take a video, but the wing sways less than the video above. The understeer has drastically changed after changing the angle of the wing to flat.

I'm gonna go with what lickymywalker said with taking the extensions off, I think its unecessary for my current setup, maybe in the future I could use it. After a couple of tests, I also think the swaying is impossible to remove completely because of what johnmizu said.

I don't DD my s2k, and I will probably never will. I try to drive it on the weekends for spirited driving on some nice twisties. But, sometimes I don't get to drive it for a few weeks.

Btw, what do you mean by safety ties? Is there a place I can research or read about this? I think I want to put safety ties even without the extensions.

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. I appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you reduce the sway. I would definitely run the wing at zero AoA. Depending on the track and driving style you may want to increase the angle but imo it's not necessary. Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cadams05nfr
I am not sure this is restricted just to your wing. I have heard people say the APR wings do the same.
I've seen countless wing set up like the OP that sways side to side (a little play movement). A friend's S, Steguis, has the APR set up that didn't sway at all. You figure, for the price (around $1000), the least they could do is make it sturdy.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:46 PM

i have the same problem with the kels garage high mounts

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Question about my Voltex GT Wing Type 3