S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want more growl, then just do the exhaust mod and weld a little "bypass pipe" on the twin loops behind the stock non cr muffler. Put a testpipe on the stock exhaust.

There are plenty of 60mm exhausts that produce more growl/sound just for the sake of making noise. The legalis R and mugen are great examples. Mugen is very nice since its super light and extremely quiet for a titanium...just sold mine.

If the apexi ws, magnaflow, and hks are the ultimate solution then why don't more people have it? Why are we having this conversation?

whether we admit it or not there's a part of us that is chasing that performance, jdm name brand, or we are just all given false impressions by youtube.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaGuy1212
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1346701433' post='21984692
[quote name='sedansrus' timestamp='1346206051' post='21972248']
The hks dual sounds incredible. It has the perfect tone and is barely louder than stock. I hate loud exhausts. Believe the hype on the hks!! It's true. One can also be had for around 500 bucks used. Mine is being paired with a test pipe, not sure what a cat converter difference would make. Your head will not be busted from drone like invidias.
The problem that most people have with HKS is they defeat the purpose of changing the exhaust... Theres no beneficial gains that come from it. It does sound good, I give it that. On the other hand though why bother changing out an exhaust that won't do anything for you?
You have to understand that some people just would like a little more tone or growl from the exhaust and aren't worried as much if they will gain or lose HP. The gains from an exhaust system are marginal, to be honest.,unless you get it tuned. Apexi WS, HKS, or magnaflow are solid candidates for a better sounding exhaust.
[/quote]

Who wants to spend $750 + for tone and have nothing to gain? I'd like to see a show of hands here. Marginal or not, a gain is a gain. I've read as well that some exhausts/headers can cause a loss in power in some cases.. Can't remember the brands off the top of my head though. I just couldn't justify the cost of one for the sake of sound/or losing power.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jh4db536
If you want more growl, then just do the exhaust mod and weld a little "bypass pipe" on the twin loops behind the stock non cr muffler. Put a testpipe on the stock exhaust.

There are plenty of 60mm exhausts that produce more growl/sound just for the sake of making noise. The legalis R and mugen are great examples. Mugen is very nice since its super light and extremely quiet for a titanium...just sold mine.

If the apexi ws, magnaflow, and hks are the ultimate solution then why don't more people have it? Why are we having this conversation?

whether we admit it or not there's a part of us that is chasing that performance, jdm name brand, or we are just all given false impressions by youtube.

You're blowing past my point. I was just stating that some people believe it or not, don't prefer a system that is loud and obnoxious. Most S2k tuners are the opposite of that, though, and want to be heard and desire the raw sound most aftermarket exhaust systems for the S2k produce. i.e invidia n1, j's racing.

I will say with 100% confidence that Apexi makes better manufactured products than Invidia because they have been in the business longer and put actual engineering in their products, even though everyone and their grandma prefers the Invidia N1/Q300. The sad truth is Invidia is affordable, made of cheap material, and makes "gains" which draws the attention of all the young S2k owners.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hand is raised lol. This past weekend I ran my friends 03 (mine is an 01) S we both have the same amount of miles on our cars, he has a Q300 exhaust and testpipe. From a first gear roll, a second gear roll and a third gear roll all the outcomes were the same I was ahead by a car and a half each time. Only difference between our cars is I have a k&n intake and he has a stock airbox. It was nice I was able to here my radio once I started leaving him.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol not arguin wit ya. People want that raw race engine sound until they get a whiff of the freeway drone that comes with it then they start complaining on the forums.

I'm on my 4th exhaust now, as long as your satisfied with the purchase that's all that matters.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM

Wait what???? I just purchased a Berk HFC 70mm and q300 from Evasive. Ahhhhh.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheSilentSK
I have early VTEC engagement as well which apparently also cranks up the volume.

Factory exhaust is in the shop right now, doing UK exhaust mod with 20mm pipe. Maybe it will be too quiet (most have gone 28mm or bigger) but I'm not taking chances this time
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSilentSK
you're gonna have to change your user name.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't call my Q300 impossibly loud by any stretch. I'm supercharged, running PLM header and 70mm Berk HFC. I mean it's only LOUD if I romp it or in vtec. I'm getting a 3" Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator fitted to it next week. I've read good results in doing so. I just want to take the edge off it. Good luck with your adventures!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by joefish1298
Originally Posted by TheSilentSK' timestamp='1346969991' post='21993444
I have early VTEC engagement as well which apparently also cranks up the volume.

Factory exhaust is in the shop right now, doing UK exhaust mod with 20mm pipe. Maybe it will be too quiet (most have gone 28mm or bigger) but I'm not taking chances this time
let us know how this goes!

Quick Reply: Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?