S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just wanted to post the pics.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000
I just wanted to post the pics.
Hahah, we all love to brag on our cars... its like people having to show you pictures of their children.

Honestly man, you sound a lot like I did when I installed my Q300. I did every combination under the sun that I mentioned before to try to calm it down (save tearing up a new exhaust and welding in a new mid-resonator) and none made me happy.

My resolution was to run PLM header, Berk high flow cat, and stock exhaust. Tame and quiet under normal driving but it gave a (still tame) deeper growl under WOT and 6-9k sound excellent without making you sound like a ricer to the rest of the world.

I bought a second stock exhaust so I could do the quick disconnect modifications for autocross purposes... perhaps you should do the same and do the loop-pipe mods that someone posted a few posts back to see how it sounds? Then you aren't chopping up your stock exhaust in case you end up not liking that either.

I would take videos for you, but I am supercharged now and that adds a significant amount to the in-car volume.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hope you realize that if you are going to move onto exhaust#2, that you should demo it before you buy it (WITH AN HFC!)
Driving far or paying someone to demo it is a lot cheaper than shelling out $600 and then figuring out you hate it and also the disappointment.

I'm personally on exhaust #4, but i was very fortunate to have been able to trade my exhaust straight up for another a few times.
When i realized how useless my car became with the ____ exhaust, because the car was no longer enjoyable to drive stomaching the cost of a $#,### exhaust that i demoed and liked wasnt so bad if youre satisfied in the end.

Originally Posted by joefish1298
I think a new mid muffler would do wonders, but I'm only 25 / 75 on whether it would be enough. And if it's not, I've wasted more money, time and probably reduced it's 2nd hand value even more.

Driven it 4 times now, and every time before I get moving I think I'm ready for the wall of noise, and then 2 mins in I think "this has GOT TO GO", LOLz.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Q300 is obnoxiously loud without the stock cat, since the resonator is so undersized. If you have a test pipe, it's even worse, but there's way less drone. There is quite a bit of drone with an HFC, but it's not so much that many people would complain about it (every exhaust drones at some RPM). However, if you have your car tuned, with a lower VTEC engagement, then it will be louder in the area where VTEC is engaging early. For me, that's at 3600 RPMs, so every time I accellerate with much throttle, it's friggin' loud!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

The nice thing about the UK exhaust mod is you can change it to suit what you're looking for. The larger the pipe you add the louder it gets but I've yet to read any posts about drone no matter how large of a pipe that was used. So you can start out with a 22mm pipe and move up till you find what you want.

If someone wanted to get fancy, they could make a 3 piece pipe so you could change out the middle so a different sound could be had in just minutes. So the two outer pipes would be as large as the pipe on the muffler and all you would change is the middle(washer type) piece for a different sound.

ROD
Old 09-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
The nice thing about the UK exhaust mod is you can change it to suit what you're looking for. The larger the pipe you add the louder it gets but I've yet to read any posts about drone no matter how large of a pipe that was used. So you can start out with a 22mm pipe and move up till you find what you want.

If someone wanted to get fancy, they could make a 3 piece pipe so you could change out the middle so a different sound could be had in just minutes. So the two outer pipes would be as large as the pipe on the muffler and all you would change is the middle(washer type) piece for a different sound.

ROD
Definitely going to do this mod, and start with a small pipe (22-25mm) as I'm already running a high flow cat increasing volume a little. I'm interested in the Fujitsubo but after the Q300 I wouldn't buy and fit the Fujitsubo without demoing it in person with the same setup I have.

I'll post back my thoughts once it's done
Old 09-03-2012, 06:50 AM

Why not get an apexi ws and be done with it. I see all these "my exhaust is to loud" threads and nobody mentions the ws exhaust. I have a testpipe and apexi ws and its the quietest car with an aftermarket exhaust I've ever owned, no drone, no rasp just a nice growl at wot.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 AM

I went through your whole ordeal once too. I absolutely hated the Q300 with a Berk 70mm HFC. The fitament was crap too. My solution was exhaust number two, Tanabe Medalion Touring with the smaller diameter Berk HFC. I could not be happier now. This exhaust is perfect sounding and fits awesomely like it should! I was able to sell my Q300 for a decent price, but had to pay nearly double for the Tanabe
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sedansrus
The hks dual sounds incredible. It has the perfect tone and is barely louder than stock. I hate loud exhausts. Believe the hype on the hks!! It's true. One can also be had for around 500 bucks used. Mine is being paired with a test pipe, not sure what a cat converter difference would make. Your head will not be busted from drone like invidias.
The problem that most people have with HKS is they defeat the purpose of changing the exhaust... Theres no beneficial gains that come from it. It does sound good, I give it that. On the other hand though why bother changing out an exhaust that won't do anything for you?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Originally Posted by sedansrus' timestamp='1346206051' post='21972248
The hks dual sounds incredible. It has the perfect tone and is barely louder than stock. I hate loud exhausts. Believe the hype on the hks!! It's true. One can also be had for around 500 bucks used. Mine is being paired with a test pipe, not sure what a cat converter difference would make. Your head will not be busted from drone like invidias.
The problem that most people have with HKS is they defeat the purpose of changing the exhaust... Theres no beneficial gains that come from it. It does sound good, I give it that. On the other hand though why bother changing out an exhaust that won't do anything for you?
You have to understand that some people just would like a little more tone or growl from the exhaust and aren't worried as much if they will gain or lose HP. The gains from an exhaust system are marginal, to be honest.,unless you get it tuned. Apexi WS, HKS, or magnaflow are solid candidates for a better sounding exhaust.

Quick Reply: Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?