S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket header? You need to fit the stock cat back on. It will help to tone down the volume a bit but may result in a bit of drone at 3-4k rpm. I ran my Q300 with stock header/stock cat, stock header/test pipe, plm header/test pipe, plm header/stock cat, and finally plm header/Berk high flow cat. Of all the combos the quietest in volume was stock header/stock cat, but it did drone a bit. The "best" sounding combo was the plm header/Berk high flow cat; no drone but the volume was pretty loud. The exhaust became raspy over time but I discovered that was due to the flange connection between the Berk high flow can and the first pipe of the Q300 coming loose.

However, I do agree that this setup can be very loud for my taste. Other autocrossers told me it was the loudest S2000 they had ever heard. I switched to the "quick disconnect" OEM exhaust and ran without mufflers at events after that, and honestly the sound difference between zero mufflers and the Q300 with plm/Berk hfc weren't too far off in volume. I pinged 106 dB from 50 feet with no mufflers. I would wager that my Q300 setup would have been over 100 as well.

I now just leave the mufflers on all the time. Still have PLM header and Berk hfc. I think it sounds excellent this way. Perhaps you should sell the exhaust and buy a new Berks hfc and header.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
If you want a exhaust thats just a little bit louder than the stock exhaust, you can do this to the stock exhaust for a better sound
Pic's about half way down
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/944...d/page__st__25

ROD
Thanks for this, never seen it before and it's looking like the likely path I will take at this stage. I think modifying the Q300 will just reduce the value of it for when I ultimately sell it, I doubt a centre muffler would reduce the volume enough.

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Do you have an aftermarket header? You need to fit the stock cat back on. It will help to tone down the volume a bit but may result in a bit of drone at 3-4k rpm. I ran my Q300 with stock header/stock cat, stock header/test pipe, plm header/test pipe, plm header/stock cat, and finally plm header/Berk high flow cat. Of all the combos the quietest in volume was stock header/stock cat, but it did drone a bit. The "best" sounding combo was the plm header/Berk high flow cat; no drone but the volume was pretty loud. The exhaust became raspy over time but I discovered that was due to the flange connection between the Berk high flow can and the first pipe of the Q300 coming loose.

However, I do agree that this setup can be very loud for my taste. Other autocrossers told me it was the loudest S2000 they had ever heard. I switched to the "quick disconnect" OEM exhaust and ran without mufflers at events after that, and honestly the sound difference between zero mufflers and the Q300 with plm/Berk hfc weren't too far off in volume. I pinged 106 dB from 50 feet with no mufflers. I would wager that my Q300 setup would have been over 100 as well.

I now just leave the mufflers on all the time. Still have PLM header and Berk hfc. I think it sounds excellent this way. Perhaps you should sell the exhaust and buy a new Berks hfc and header.
No, I'm running the stock header. Thanks for your input, it helps me to think I'm not insane, because this exhaust is way loud for me with a high flow cat.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pic of your q300?

Either put the stock cat back on or get a new exhaust. Sitting in someone's car to demo the exhaust is probably more effective research.

I don't recall the q300 that bad (and I am very picky about noise), I drove my friends ap1, but his car is all stock other than the catback. After trying many different exhausts I think hfc + catback is the droniest combination vs stock cat/testpipe.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jh4db536
Pic of your q300?

Either put the stock cat back on or get a new exhaust. Sitting in someone's car to demo the exhaust is probably more effective research.

I don't recall the q300 that bad (and I am very picky about noise), I drove my friends ap1, but his car is all stock other than the catback. After trying many different exhausts I think hfc + catback is the droniest combination vs stock cat/testpipe.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
You are right, viewing the actual combination of parts you like in person on another car is the best research. I didn't know anyone with the Q300 so I took a chance.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM

are you talking loud as in DRONE, or outside?

and im sure s2k exhausts will be louder in everyway compared to any other car youve probably been in. 4 seaters cars done drone quite as much
Old 08-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

I think you need to let it break in a little more. The q300 is one of the quietest exhausts out there. Just to be clear this is the exhaust you have right?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I think you need to let it break in a little more. The q300 is one of the quietest exhausts out there. Just to be clear this is the exhaust you have right?

Yup, this is the exhaust I have, with stock header and high flow cat.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

Wow. And are you talking about highway drone or the sound when your accelerating? My buddy had that exhaust and it was dead quite. I have a berk dual and it is very loud.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by kerm1t
are you talking loud as in DRONE, or outside?

and im sure s2k exhausts will be louder in everyway compared to any other car youve probably been in. 4 seaters cars done drone quite as much
Not talking about drone, I'm talking about extreme volume. I explained to a friend how ridiculously extremely loud it was, a friend who used to own a pretty loud Celica with a 3" exhaust. Then I took him for a drive and opened it up. Then I asked, "it's way louder than you thought it would be even after I explained isn't it?", he said "yes" with a stunned look on his face.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Wow. And are you talking about highway drone or the sound when your accelerating? My buddy had that exhaust and it was dead quite. I have a berk dual and it is very loud.
Cruising flat highway, there's no drone, a nice deep burble, exactly how I imagined it and wanted it. It's when you get on the gas, even a little it's loud, when you get on the gas more than a little, it's insane. I've been in plenty of modded cars at track days and this is easily the loudest car I've been in save for a couple of fully stripped caged race cars with basically straight through exhausts.

Quick Reply: Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?