S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?

So I just picked up my car after getting an Invidia Q300 with stainless tips fitted and I cannot believe how loud it is. I read as much as I could, comparisons, reviews, watched clips on youtube, and thought I was buying one of the quieter exhausts available. I liked the tone of the Invidia V3 but the V3 was clearly way too loud and thought the Q300 was the quiet version of the V3, same tone but quieter.

Anyway, it's just so loud, I either need to fix it or put the factory exhaust back or a much quieter exhaust. I know the cannon exhausts come with silencers or you can buy them but with the design of the tips it might be hard to make the silencer even sit in and fit properly.

Can I cut the mufflers off and fit quieter mufflers and keep the tone but with the volume reduced? Maybe fit a center muffler?

Anyway and all ideas appreciated, I need it heaps quieter or off the car. Also if you wish to call me a pussy for thinking it's too loud that's fine also

Cliff notes:

Q300 way too f@#king loud. Have come to the conclusion it's because I have a high flow cat, early VTEC engagement and increased exhaust gas output. Have refitted factory exhaust after doing UK exhaust mod with 20mm pipe and love it, but miss the deep idle rumble of the Q300. Might fit Fujitsubo one day but only after hearing it on a car with the same setup as mine. Thanks to everyone for their helpful posts. Lesson learned, case closed.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the OEM cat or a test pipe? I went to the Q300 w/ OEM cat from a 3" catless single because of how loud the single was. I was stock for a day in between, and the Q300 is pretty much the quietest exhaust next to OEM. So that's your only option, really.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you gotta let it break in. its gonna quite down after 300-500 miles
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chugs
Do you have the OEM cat or a test pipe? I went to the Q300 w/ OEM cat from a 3" catless single because of how loud the single was. I was stock for a day in between, and the Q300 is pretty much the quietest exhaust next to OEM. So that's your only option, really.
I'm running an unknown brand high flow cat. I killed a Berk HFC in a few thousand km, so my tuner fitted a new one, the same one they fit to GTRs. The volume increase was barely louder than stock though, just really gave it a bit of a nice rasp to the sound.

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
you gotta let it break in. its gonna quite down after 300-500 miles
Well, I'm skeptical this will make enough of a difference, but I'm sure going to cross my fingers and hope it does break in and get a lot quieter.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think after awhile it wont bother you. Roll with it for a bit then reconsider because I think the only other "quiet" aftermarket exhaust worth buying will be the fujitsubo.

I went from a invidia dual N1 to a HKS single and think the single is the quietest thing ever. I am probably partially deaf.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Q300s sound very different with a HFC or test pipe. Install an OEM cat and if that is still too loud, aftermarket exhausts are not for you.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

If you want a exhaust thats just a little bit louder than the stock exhaust, you can do this to the stock exhaust for a better sound
Pic's about half way down
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/944...d/page__st__25

Here is a good video of how it sounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spxC_...layer_embedded
If you want to keep the Q300 see if this(Moroso Spiral Flow Racing Mufflers) will fit behind the front muffler on the Q300 it will lower the volume a little
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=35054

ROD
Old 08-28-2012, 06:07 PM

The hks dual sounds incredible. It has the perfect tone and is barely louder than stock. I hate loud exhausts. Believe the hype on the hks!! It's true. One can also be had for around 500 bucks used. Mine is being paired with a test pipe, not sure what a cat converter difference would make. Your head will not be busted from drone like invidias.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM

Well I took it for a long drive to gather my thoughts and I'm giving serious thought to the fact that it was manufactured without sound deadening in the canister. It's not just loud, it's impossibly loud.

The shop said it was the loudest S2000 exhaust they'd ever fitted, and one of the loudest they'd ever had in the shop. The tuner couldn't tune without earmuffs, which he often does on cars with aftermarket exhausts.

The manager had to stop having conversations with a customer when it was doing dyno pulls, even though the office is separated from the workshop by cinder block walls and cars on the dyno have the exhaust facing away from the office to directly outside through a large opening.

Through the hills the volume of the echo was just excruciatingly loud. It's so much louder than any car I've ever been in, many of which have had aftermarket exhausts.

And it doesn't even drone at all. At cruise it's very quiet, like what I expected, but once you get on the throttle, just a little bit the volume seems to increase exponentially. Even the small increases in throttle yield massive increases in volume. *shrugs*

I didn't buy a Fujitsubo to start with because I was worried it would be too quiet. Now I'm scared to buy one because I'm worried it will be too loud!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like the invidia n1

Quick Reply: Q300 too loud. Can I fit silencers or something?