S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

performance and look mods?

Old 01-19-2016, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance and look mods?

Hey guys I'm new to the s2k scene and to thread posting, i recently bought myself a honda s2k and was just looking for some help when it comes to mods, both performance and look. the only thing iv done was install an invidia n1 catback exhaust and love the sound of it. I'm currently looking at getting myself a pod filter, but like i don't know the best performance/sound wise one to get. also if u guys could please help me out with websites and places to get the best accessories/parts for the s2k would be sick. oh and quickly could u guys send me a list of the best things to mod performance, thanks!

I'm keen on learning about the s2k, so please feel free to message me and teach me a few tips and tricks.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mod for a reason not just to mod. Your vision of your car and how you plan to use it, how you drive, dictate what mods could be done to help get to that vision. Do you want to strip it down to a track car and could give a shit about looks? Do want to make it slammed to the ground garage queen and could give a shit about performance? Most of us are in the middle somewhere. But where you are on that scale will give you a path to those mods. Some people invest $1000s in a radio, I have never turned my on and with a N1 you will never hear yours again either.

When you decide what you want the car to be then you can begin to mold it to what you want. I think for now you should chill and enjoy the car for that it is and just learn to become one with it.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:15 AM
Site Moderator

Received 354 Likes on 308 Posts

Well you are off to a good start joining here. Next step is buy a membership and support the site. As for who to buy from just go to the vendor section on here. That is where you should buy your parts is from one of the reputable members on here. If your location is accurate and you are in Australia you will be paying a pretty penny for shipping no matter what. There is a wealth of information on these forums and YOU need need to go through and find what YOU like for your car. Everyone has the parts and brands they put on and like. Instead of buying parts you need to spend some time learning and researching and then spend your money. Had you asked or searched prior to buying that exhaust you may have made a different choice but if you like it then great since it is your car and your money.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

One mistake a lot of newbs to this car make is spending money on mods that actually end up reducing performance. The car is was so extreme engineered to begin with, its difficult to improve.

An exhaust will sound nice, and so can an intake, but few of either make any real gains, and probably more than those lose power over stock. The stock cat flows real well, and the stock header is excellent. There is a simple mod you can make to the stock exhaust if all you want is more sound (called the uk mod, you can go mild, or wild here).

The stock suspension is also quite good, even for some track use. You can improve on it with good coilovers, if you put in the time to tune and sort them. Put lesser coilovers will hurt performance.

Lowering just to lower can have a negative impact on handling as well. Need to make sure this is done right if you care about handling.

This car does not benefit from adding a shock tower brace. Its already quite stiff, and adding a brace doesnt improve it.

So bottom line, do your research first. Dont make assumptions that apply to other cars, they often dont apply here.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 PM

What part of Australia are you in?
JDM Yard (http://www.jdmyard.com/) is in the Sydney area and sometimes has some items for the S2k.

In terms of what mods to do, it depends on what you want - especially with looks...
Look at other S2000s if you can't decide on what look you're after and get some inspiration.

Most aftermarket intakes will sound decent compared to the stock intake (even taking the lid off the stock box will give you a better sound, but will harm the performance due to the engine heat being more accessible by the intake).

Depending on how recently you picked up the car, you may want to drive it around for a bit (both hard driving and cruising) and figure out what you believe needs changing.

Best to wait it out and do what you feel you need to.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:42 AM

Everyone likes to say the car is highly engineered and that there is little chance for power. But you can go right over to the Naturally Aspirated section or even right here in the Mod and Parts section and see this is far from true. It is not difficult to get an additional 20 - 30 hp of usable power out of the car in the mid-range without breaking the bank. So that's total BS. It is not a strung out race car, so there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

The trick is to get parts that will actually benefit. For the intake side, start with something with a much larger diameter, and a (preferably) longer runner. You can buy the materials to make a custom 3.5" or 4" intake for about $175 or so which will yield better results than anything short of a $1500+ carbon intake. Next is a very simple and inexpensive mod - the test pipe. If you are keeping the stock exhaust and stock header, then getting the 63mm one will be fine. If you upgrade the exhaust (go 3" and single if you do that in my opinion) then you will want to get the 70mm test pipe to match. A quality header that actually makes power is not hard to find, but you will pay for it. I'd recommend the Ballade Sports one for good gains (that I've read). It will be my next one should I opt for another header. From there you could go larger throttle body with a ported intake manifold, cams, stroked engine, etc. Or just skip all of this and go forced induction.

Any mods should be tuned. If you have an '06+, you are in luck as you can get a Flashpro system and tune the f-ck out of the car. If not, you are stuck spending big bucks to get a standalone system to do the same thing. Expect $2k+ going that route including dyno time to tune.

It is entirely feasible to have an S2k that is perfectly streetable and making 270 - 300 crank horsepower.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Spend time searching and reading this forum. There's like 10-15 years of good information on this car waiting for you to unlock. I picked up my car last summer and S2KI has been a mod encyclopedia for me. Almost everything you want to do has probably already been done with reviews and write-ups.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:32 AM

Exactly! ^^

(On a side note, I went from an E46 M to the S2K. Very different world!)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

HPDE or auto cross.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok well since you asked, and it seems like you want us to do all the work for you then here you go...

Buy this kit CLICK

Buy these doors CLICK

Buy this wing CLICK

Buy this hood CLICK

Buy this Carbon Hardtop CLICK

Buy this trunk CLICK

Buy this Supercharger CLICK

Buy this ECU CLICK

Buy 4 of these wheels CLICK

Buy these brakes CLICK

Buy this suspension CLICK

Buy this exhaust CLICK