S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Oil catch tanks

Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil catch tanks

I'm looking around to get an oil catch tank.
On the evasive site I noticed 2 different GReddy tanks, Cusco tank and a few others...

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/evasive_...da_S2000_Engine

What are the main differences? Especially with the Greddy ones, only the shape/design aspect? Or is there a functional difference?

Any advise on which to get?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:36 AM

It appears they all function the same. I think the trick is to find one that mounts good in our small engine bay. I like the J's version that incorporates the coolant overflow/reservoir.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you should try buy an inline filter instead, they filter out blow by much better than gravity feed catch can.

the cheaper catch can is not baffled, meaning the oil can be suck back up during a high G corner if you mount it wrong.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Here is the J's oil catch can if this helps...

Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Carbing
Old 07-19-2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by roy365,Jul 17 2008, 08:36 AM
It appears they all function the same. I think the trick is to find one that mounts good in our small engine bay. I like the J's version that incorporates the coolant overflow/reservoir.
small engine bay???? granted all the room may not be useable for every mod you can think of but there is certainly room in various places for a catch can depending on your intake configuration and other parts in the engine bay...i chose to got the cusco s2000 specific route and remove the cruise control module...unfortunately i could not get my hands on the jdm coolant overflow mount so my overflow tank is ziptied to the prop rod hole...if you're gonna mount the catch can do some searching on the forum regarding installation....i chose to hook it up jus like the j's pictured above...

oh and reguarding the various models: cusco, carbing, and greddy are the same...on the other hand i believe the j's is baffled (seperates the oil and air letting the air flow back while keeping the oil in the can) but am not sure...the spoon one may be the same way...either way uless you're a serious track guy you shouldn't really encounter much if any blow buy...on the street the catch can is mainly for looks...i did it both for looks and to be safe rather than sorry...i have yet to take it out and drain it but it's been on for 4-5 months and the oil level hasn't risen to a visible level on the indicator

good luck with your search and install and don't hesitate to ask if you have a question....btw know the difference (s2000 specific goes in the place of the cruise control....non s2000 sopecific is wherever you can fit the bracket)
Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM

thanks for the information guys... the info about the J's also explains why those are so much more expensive I suppose...

1 positive aspect is that we don't have the cruisecontrol, so I got room for the catch can
Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 AM

what about the ASM catch can? is it a baffled one or just the same as Greddy and cusco...?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 PM

asm is probably baffled...should be for the price anyway....don't waste your money on super jdm products...get a cusco catch can and call it a day...looks nice...will catch something eventually if you're really making the motor work and it won't cost you a million bucks
Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM

and since you don't have the cruise control you're golden...just a simple bolt on...no relocation of anything needed...you may wanna get some better hose because the clea stuff supplied with the cusco goes hard after a drive or two...supposedly the hose will crack...i didn't wait for that and just bought some standard fuel line hose from an autoparts store...

Quick Reply: Oil catch tanks