S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

NGK Ruthenium HX Spark Plugs

Old 09-19-2019, 11:13 PM

Received 205 Likes on 177 Posts
Lightbulb NGK Ruthenium HX Spark Plugs

Anyone tried these? Thoughts and feedback in comparison to OEM PFR7's or Iridium BKR8EIX (my personal favourite thus far)?

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/product...um-spark-plugs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spark-Plug-...AAAOSwi5dcqBwg
Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts

I have them installed with Okada coil packs, on a NA car. I can't say I can tell the difference, since I had Iridium IX 7s installed(500 miles on them) before. NGK only makes heat range 7 for the S2000 at the moment though, if you want 8 or 9, you have to get Iridium IX ones. Rock Auto had the lowest price, 5% off coupon can be found on here.

NGK 92400 is the correct part # for S2000s.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=9779948&jsn=1

Last edited by jackmugen02; 09-20-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
I have them installed with Okada coil packs, on a NA car. I can't say I can tell the difference, since I had Iridium IX 7s installed(500 miles on them) before. NGK only makes heat range 7 for the S2000 at the moment though, if you want 8 or 9, you have to get Iridium IX ones. Rock Auto had the lowest price, 5% off coupon can be found on here.

NGK 92400 is the correct part # for S2000s.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=9779948&jsn=1
Cool. I'm running Iridium BKR8EIX now but just came across the HX ones and the hype on their site has me intrigued. I felt a difference in response and power going from stock PFR7's to BKR8's so I wonder if there would be any difference at all with the HX... yeah I saw rockauto has them the cheapest. $7.90 each.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:39 AM

They don't have colder than 7 for the HX range yet as you said. The spark plug gap on the spec sheet seems to be 1mm as well as opposed to the tighter gap of the BKR8's...
Old 09-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

You gap the plugs for your application, less for forced induction and the stock gap for NA. I know some say you can't gap these plugs but here is how you can gap them safely. I always check my plugs to make sure they are gapped to the right spec. and if I have to gap a plug to make it right, thats fine by me. I've been using Iridium plugs since they came out over 20 years ago. Never had one fail yet and I put 100k miles on my plugs.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...NmNkNTQwMjc1OQ

Any time you get a better(hotter) spark you get a hotter flame front and that burns the fuel more efficiently which means more power at WOT and better fuel mileage at part throttle or cruising on down the road.

Rod
Old 09-22-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rrounds
You gap the plugs for your application, less for forced induction and the stock gap for NA. I know some say you can't gap these plugs but here is how you can gap them safely. I always check my plugs to make sure they are gapped to the right spec. and if I have to gap a plug to make it right, thats fine by me. I've been using Iridium plugs since they came out over 20 years ago. Never had one fail yet and I put 100k miles on my plugs.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...NmNkNTQwMjc1OQ

Any time you get a better(hotter) spark you get a hotter flame front and that burns the fuel more efficiently which means more power at WOT and better fuel mileage at part throttle or cruising on down the road.

Rod
Yeah cool. I've never gapped spark plugs previously. Never had a reason to. I've been running BKR8EIX for a long time now and felt the difference in power that you mentioned. Now I wonder if at stock gap of about 1mm will these ruthenium plugs really make the difference NGK's charts show. I'm guessing they would so I'm willing to try. It seems that they don't make heat range 8 for ruthenium plugs though...
I'm currently NA modded but will be supercharged eventually. I'm comfortable running BKR8's in both scenarios.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Yeah cool. I've never gapped spark plugs previously. Never had a reason to. I've been running BKR8EIX for a long time now and felt the difference in power that you mentioned. Now I wonder if at stock gap of about 1mm will these ruthenium plugs really make the difference NGK's charts show. I'm guessing they would so I'm willing to try. It seems that they don't make heat range 8 for ruthenium plugs though...
I'm currently NA modded but will be supercharged eventually. I'm comfortable running BKR8's in both scenarios.
Just make sure you don't put any sideways pressure on the center electrode, it doesn't take much to bend/snap it over. Also, I found it easier to feel if the gap was to tight with a round feeler gauge instead of a flat one.

Rod
Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 3,536 Likes on 2,540 Posts

I like the pspe design out of the two ones they might offer, the thing with that type of design which is more of a surface gap is that it should come form the plug manufacturer pre-gapped, you don't want to alter the gap on a surface gap plug. The DFE design can be gapped easier.

I have full confidence in my ability to gap a plug safely, most manufacturers don't trust consumers so they might suggest not to adjust their gaps even if they are out of spec. If someone doesn't adjust the plug gap safely it can damage your piston or score your cylinder wall, so if you can't do it 100% safely then don't try it. Denso makes a similar design plug as the DFE, If you can get them pre-gapped then try them, if you can't get them pregapped and you aren't 100 percent sure in your ability then skip it and stick with the NGK Iridium. I wouldn't be sold on the hardness claim, all that means is that you can run them longer without wear of the electrodes, Iridium is already much harder than platinum, so it is plenty good, if this new metal is harder it isn't a big selling point with me. I do like the gap design of the PSPE plug though exposing the combustion chamber mixture to the spark like most surface gaps do. At the end of the day I doubt you would be able to tell a difference but it is worth a try if you can find the right plug for your application.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by rrounds
Just make sure you don't put any sideways pressure on the center electrode, it doesn't take much to bend/snap it over. Also, I found it easier to feel if the gap was to tight with a round feeler gauge instead of a flat one.

Rod
Got it.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I like the pspe design out of the two ones they might offer, the thing with that type of design which is more of a surface gap is that it should come form the plug manufacturer pre-gapped, you don't want to alter the gap on a surface gap plug. The DFE design can be gapped easier.

I have full confidence in my ability to gap a plug safely, most manufacturers don't trust consumers so they might suggest not to adjust their gaps even if they are out of spec. If someone doesn't adjust the plug gap safely it can damage your piston or score your cylinder wall, so if you can't do it 100% safely then don't try it. Denso makes a similar design plug as the DFE, If you can get them pre-gapped then try them, if you can't get them pregapped and you aren't 100 percent sure in your ability then skip it and stick with the NGK Iridium. I wouldn't be sold on the hardness claim, all that means is that you can run them longer without wear of the electrodes, Iridium is already much harder than platinum, so it is plenty good, if this new metal is harder it isn't a big selling point with me. I do like the gap design of the PSPE plug though exposing the combustion chamber mixture to the spark like most surface gaps do. At the end of the day I doubt you would be able to tell a difference but it is worth a try if you can find the right plug for your application.
The PSPE is recommended for boosted engines while the DFE is recommended for NA. I like the sound of maximum ignitability of the PSPE. Even NA modded, do we have "high heat" engines? This might all just be marketing. BKR8EIX is considered a race plug recommended for supercharged S2000's yet I run them now and felt a difference coming from PFR7's. Just curious as to why NGK haven't released a colder 8 range plug for these new HX's...

You're right - Iridium is plenty good already. Definitely worth trying these new ones though. My annual service is coming up soon so I might grab a set off rockauto. $31 excluding shipping. I don't need to change the BKR8's I'm running now as they've got plenty of life left but I am eager to try these new plugs at the same time.

Quick Reply: NGK Ruthenium HX Spark Plugs