S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

New SoS Clutch/Flywheel... Clutch Chatter?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the Centerforce clutch and there is zero chatter of any kind.

Their disk setup is pretty cool.

I think I put in quite a bit of grease in the splines when installing. Maybe our definition of "a lot" is different.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed an SOS sport clutch kit with ap1 flywheel in my '05 a several hundred miles ago after I experienced slippage with the stock setup once I installed a supercharger.

In any event, I don't think I've noticed any chatter? I'll have to test the next time I drive it.

I know the instructions mentions that the "design results in a degree of shudder when engaged that can be felt mostly from a standing stop when engaging first and reverser gear. This will lessen slightly after break in, but some shudder will always be apparent."

I assume that's not when you're talking about
Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read the owners notes.

it says it will lessen slightly after break in.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingtoaster,Nov 16 2010, 07:23 AM
Jkuamoo, I am trying to understand how grease on the disc would lead to chatter on deceleration. Are you referring to chatter when easing off the clutch pedal?
there is a clear difference between clutch chatter and clutch buzz.

i believe the term clutch chatter is being thrown around and defined incorrectly. this is what i was referring to- 'clutch chatter' which is exhibited under acceleration or engagement of the clutch.
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0407tur_...sics/index.html

"T: What causes clutch chatter?
S: A high coefficient of friction, bad motor mounts, an incorrectly machined flywheel or faulty pressure plate, spring-centered race disc (aggravates chatter), and contamination (oil, grease, or rust).

Chatter is basically the engine winding up in the mounts as the clutch is engaging and then bouncing off the mounts, disengaging the clutch for a brief moment before engaging again and winding up again. No matter how aggressive a clutch is that would normally chatter severely on a normal street car, it generally won't chatter at all on a car with solid mounts and a rigid disc because there is no wind-up effect."
-turbo magazine

this can be found in the 'troubleshooting' section of the article.

clutch buzz (which exhibits under deceleraltion) is most likely what the author of this post is experiencing; defined as...

Stated by honda in the tsb-

Honda:

"Clearance between transmission gears (backlash) is normal and sometimes audible. In an S2000, this noise is more noticeable since the transmission is between the seats instead of up front in the engine compartment. When the vehicle decelerates, its weight, together with the pulses from the engine, excites the transmission gears, causing them to buzz or rattle.The four springs in the clutch disc hub act as a damper. The clutch disc disc listed in this service bulletin is an improved version of the countermeasured disc released a year ago. Extensive testing has shown it to be quieter than any previous S2000 clutch discs.

Cause: Gear backlash in the transmission."

in a nutshell-

The thickness of the clutch is what causes the buzz. Too thin and it allows the mainshaft to "free up" and vibrate the gears causes the buzz. Honda fixed this by making a thicker clutch putting pressure on the shaft. Now when u change the flywheel or clutch u change the parameters all together so buzz may happen. Honda has stated that the buzz does not reduce the life of the tranny so just deal with the noise like u do with exhuast.