S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

New SoS Clutch/Flywheel... Clutch Chatter?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SoS Clutch/Flywheel... Clutch Chatter?

Hi guys,

I'm actually new to the boards, I decided to finally register after 10,000 miles of lurking now that I've started tinkering with my '06.

Anyhow, I just had a Science of Speed Sport Clutch and 11.5 lb flywheel installed, along with the braided steel clutch line they offer. They also discovered a broken motor mount and a broken shifter bushing during the install, so I knew operation would be greatly improved when I got my car back (car has 50k miles, I've owned it for 10k).

Well, ~300 miles in the clutch/flywheel combination feels VASTLY better than the stock stuff, although I haven't really pushed it very hard yet. I do have one issue though: Sometimes when decelerating or when the car is in neutral, I hear a distinct chatter/buzz sound coming from the footwell. Depressing the clutch pedal or accelerating usually makes it stop but not always permanently.

My questions: Is this the "clutch chatter" that SoS sport clutches aren't supposed to have? I had it installed with an SoS release and pilot bearing, not the old OEM. Could something just have been installed loosely, or might it go away after a couple hundred more miles of break-in?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

can't comment on your specific setup but its not uncommon for aftermarket clutches for the s2000 to buzz on decel
Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my SOS clutch installed as well, same flywheel. I have absolutely no "clutch buzz" issues while in gear. However, I do have some shuddering issues when trying to take off from a complete stop. I called SOS, and they said that this is not normal at all. So it's going back to the dealer today. It was horrible when I first got the car back, they assured me it would go away as it broke in...wrong. It started to get better after about 300 miles, and has been getting worse since about 5-600 miles. Now I have around 1,100 miles on it, and it's still present.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Guy,Jul 26 2010, 06:00 PM
I just had my SOS clutch installed as well, same flywheel. I have absolutely no "clutch buzz" issues while in gear. However, I do have some shuddering issues when trying to take off from a complete stop. I called SOS, and they said that this is not normal at all. So it's going back to the dealer today. It was horrible when I first got the car back, they assured me it would go away as it broke in...wrong. It started to get better after about 300 miles, and has been getting worse since about 5-600 miles. Now I have around 1,100 miles on it, and it's still present.
Any fix for the shudder?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM

I have about 1000 miles on the ACT clutch, which is similar. I had new OEM bearings installed. I'd be surprised if the SOS clutch came with anything other than OEM bearings. There is some chatter when I decelerate but my flywheel is even lighter at 8 lbs.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:27 AM

hello,

id like to chime in on "clutch chatter"...

please take into account that chatter can be caused by an excess of grease used on the spline upon installation. as the main shaft rotates the spline ejects excess grease onto the clutch disk and contaminates the surface. this in turn leads to clutch chatter- let me clarify that statement before somebody gets their panties in a bunch... grease contamination isnt the only cause of clutch chatter, but very common if installed incorrectly. please keep in mind, it simple for a mechanic to install, align and torque down a clutch... however there are small costly mistakes that can be made if too much grease is used. it is very very very common for a mechanic to lube up the main shaft splines too much. if you curious as to why they would want to lube the spline... simply to make it easier to install the spline into the clutch assembly.

oh and i forgot to include...

you can check to see if you are suffering from grease contamination by removing the clutch assembly and inspecting the clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel. evidence of over greasing is obvious and can clearly be found on the clutch disk spline. look at the center of the clutch disk where the main shaft penetrates through. grease will look like long stringy spaghetti noodles beginning at the center and extending outward to the clutch disk friction pad.

i hope this helps. i am a mechanic and i have had several customers whom have brought their cars to me to redo another shops clutch job. at the end of the day all it was is simply too much grease. keep in mind how fast the clutch assembly rotates and all that force pulls out even the slightest excess of grease on the spline.

hope everything works out.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 AM

Jkuamoo, I am trying to understand how grease on the disc would lead to chatter on deceleration. Are you referring to chatter when easing off the clutch pedal?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:17 AM

This may be a very simplistic answer after reading the posts by all the mechanical gurus but I'm speaking from experience regarding the clutch chatter, especially on deceleration.

Upon installation of my SoS braided clutch line I have noticed the gearbox chatter as well. My mechanic's theory is that as a solid line, it transfers more of the vibrations/noise of the gearbox into the cabin as opposed to the OEM line which is rubber and would have done well to dampen most vibrations.

The noise does not impede performance in anyway, from experience.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by irvinchua,Nov 17 2010, 07:17 AM
This may be a very simplistic answer after reading the posts by all the mechanical gurus but I'm speaking from experience regarding the clutch chatter, especially on deceleration.

Upon installation of my SoS braided clutch line I have noticed the gearbox chatter as well. My mechanic's theory is that as a solid line, it transfers more of the vibrations/noise of the gearbox into the cabin as opposed to the OEM line which is rubber and would have done well to dampen most vibrations.

The noise does not impede performance in anyway, from experience.
I don't buy it. Clutch lines hold fluid, nothing else. Last I checked, vibrating fluid didn't make noise.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:44 AM

Received 708 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle,Nov 17 2010, 09:00 AM
I don't buy it. Clutch lines hold fluid, nothing else. Last I checked, vibrating fluid didn't make noise.
you don't know much about fluids do you

<---- fluid mechanics engineer (although it looks like i'm pointing to the kitty who is oh so happy, i'm actually pointing to myself )

but for the sake of argument, lets say vibrating fluids can't make noise:

first they said transfer more sound/noise. second, they said the clutch line material.. rubber vs braided. rubber does not propagate sound very well. while metal propagates sound extremely well.

but nonetheless, i'm interested in this thread because i'll be buying a SOS clutch, flywheel /bearing set next spring..

:subscribed:

Quick Reply: New SoS Clutch/Flywheel... Clutch Chatter?