S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

New to Modding

Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Modding

Hi All,

I'm pleased to say I've ust bought my first s2k and I'm loving it. Now I've got one I'm open to mods. Being a total novice I haven't a clue whats good and whats not so............

What mods should I consider?
Why should I consider them?
What benefits do they give?
What's the approx cost?
What will it do to my insurance?

I'm ready to explore a whole new world.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

First we need to know what exactly what you are trying to use the car for. fun daily driver? track car?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 AM

also there is a thread on here about best and worst mods. Look it up. It will help you to choose where to start.

Go with springs, wheels or bolt ons to start. Like everyone else. It will help you learn to not be afraid to work on your car and as weird as it sounds get a little more in touch with it.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 AM

If you don't know what mods you 'want' you don't need any. Drive it awhile and figure it out. Don't mod just 'cause you can, do it for a reason.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In various discussion forum sites I visit people seem to jump too quickly on the mod bandwagon. Regardless of what you're talking (cars, PC's, radar detectors, the list can go on indefinitely) about spend some time to get familiar with the item. Then you'll have an idea of where you want to go. Modding for the sake of modding is pretty pointless unless you just have cash lying around that you need to burn.

Also spend some time reading up. There's a ton of info already out there. You're basically asking us to summarize this entire forum (and site) in a single thread.

It's a subjective decision making process and like any subjective decisions there's no one-size fits all answer for your questions.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM

best mod = search button
Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM

I personally wouldn't start with the suspension first. First be able to drive it stock, it is very good out of the box you may screw it up and make it worse. The stock suspension is quite good.

As far as cost for what you get gears are the way to go it makes a huge difference in how the car accelerates and enhances the fun factor.

Swiftoy
Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 AM

I would definately mod your car based on things you want changed or do not like about the car in the stock configuration.

More power is always nice, but read about the tradeoffs/reliability issues with different power adders and what kinda power you are expected to see with X amount of $ spent.

If you are just itchin to mod, pick up some wheels that you think look nice. Check out the rim thread in the gallery for some ideas. GL!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM

IMHO always drop it before you put wheels on. Wheel gap is murder. For power adders, read up on intakes. Not all are really power adding. if you wanna get loud look up exhaust, if you wanna get clean look up suspension and wheels (together), and if you wanna go fast without worrying about your engine, go with gears.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM

Also spend some time reading up. There's a ton of info already out there. You're basically asking us to summarize this entire forum (and site) in a single thread.

I spent over a year researching everything on this site before I bought my S. There's a ton of information on here from some extremely knowledgeable people. Just do some reading in the Under the Hood, Modifications and Parts, NA tuning, and Forced Induction forums first to see how people have reacted to thier mods.
Even better, see if you can find a local meet and get to know some of the other drivers face to face, I'm sure you can learn much more in person than by browsing the forums.
Either way you decide to go, just enjoy the drive!

Quick Reply: New to Modding