S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

need help installing OEM HT on MY00.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help installing OEM HT on MY00.

Hey guys so im going to be installing an OEM HT that i picked up. It has the OEM front strikers and rear latches but no catchers. Cant find them anywhere in the garage. MY question is, is there anything special i have to do to install the HT in MY00? im not going to be using the defroster. Im looking to maybe purchase some Izzy Brackets for more security for the rear, since the oem catchers are pricey. What do you guys think??

Btw i did search but did not find much info on early Ap1s. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 PM

mods if this is in the wrong section plz move, thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^

Are you planning to remove the hardtop often? If so Id try to source out some catchers for the rear or the two piece bracket design that rockstar garage carries. If you're going to keep the hardtop on a lot/permanent then izzy brackets could be the way to go. I'm assuming when you say catcher your talking about the rear one that bolts to the car body and stays on right?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, try to get the OEM units even if you have to get them new

They fit perfectly, are very durable, give you the option of removing the HT anytime you feel like it, and will give you less hassles over time
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

pay the money and get the catchers,...it pulls the rear soooo much tighter than the bolt on brackets. you can search the classified and find some now.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by El S2000
^

Are you planning to remove the hardtop often? If so Id try to source out some catchers for the rear or the two piece bracket design that rockstar garage carries. If you're going to keep the hardtop on a lot/permanent then izzy brackets could be the way to go. I'm assuming when you say catcher your talking about the rear one that bolts to the car body and stays on right?
I plan on keeping it on all the time, since my soft top window is still plastic and yellow. YES as far as catcher goes that's exactly what im referring to.

Originally Posted by GundamTypeR
IMHO, try to get the OEM units even if you have to get them new

They fit perfectly, are very durable, give you the option of removing the HT anytime you feel like it, and will give you less hassles over time
Where do you suggest I buy them.?

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
pay the money and get the catchers,...it pulls the rear soooo much tighter than the bolt on brackets. you can search the classified and find some now.
How much do they usually go for used?? Also is there any special things i have to do to my car since its a 00 not an 02+.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"Also is there any special things i have to do to my car since its a 00 not an 02+."

Change out the front strikers if you haven't done that already, bend that little metal piece for the rear catchers, and find the correct wire harness to disable the soft top switch.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 9k_on_occasion
"Also is there any special things i have to do to my car since its a 00 not an 02+."

Change out the front strikers if you haven't done that already, bend that little metal piece for the rear catchers, and find the correct wire harness to disable the soft top switch.
Sorry If im being a noob but why would I disable the soft top switch?

Do I need to bend the little metal piece if im using Izzy brackets?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sp00nFEDcrx
Originally Posted by 9k_on_occasion' timestamp='1375211101' post='22696274

Sorry If im being a noob but why would I disable the soft top switch?

Do I need to bend the little metal piece if im using Izzy brackets?
If you don't disable the switch, you could accidentally put the soft top up while the hardtop is mounted. Also, for your year, there should be a separate wiring kit for the defroster, that should let you mount the defroster button on the center console (I think).

You want the OEM rear catchers because they pull the hardtop down and back, so it seals pretty tight.

Since you're planning on leaving it on all the time, I suggest Izzy's or AlloyCraft's front brackets. The OEM fronts wear over time due to vibration, and you'll notice a rattle over your head. If you do the OEM fronts, make sure you get the front hardtop strikers as well, they help pull the front latches tighter - it's a slightly different design than the stock soft top strikers.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:45 PM

Will the rear Izzy brackets and front OEM ht strikers work? I can't seem to find any side catchers anywhere fs.

Quick Reply: need help installing OEM HT on MY00.