S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mugen wing functional at all?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Originally Posted by kaotik25' timestamp='1332967275' post='21553280
Yes the AoA (angle of attack) does have a significant role in downforce but since most GT wing aerofoil are cambered you should see added downforce at zero AoA with minimal drag. With increase in AoA you are also increasing drag, depending on the profile of your aerofoil this drag may not be much but it depends on the profile. I usually like to run zero AoA to minimize drag seen as how my stock engine doesn't produce much power. I have not increase AoA ( pointing down) at the leading edge but Alex Doan did change his wing angle this past weekend at the track and he definitely felt the increase in downforce with negligible drag increase.[quote name='sam_spider' timestamp='1332962482' post='21552960']Also, keep in mind, you should be running a front splitter of some sort to aid in keeping the nose down, the more downforce you have in the back can fight against you if your nose starts lifting.This is why the CR's aero is functional, the front and rear work together.
Yes I totally agreee with Spider that having rear downforce only may hurt you at the track due to front lift and cause understeer. A well balanced car has to also balance the added downforce front and rear. A front splitter would definitely help or cannards (i run dual cannards) and flat under panel. I'm liking this discussion guys, keep it going. It's very informative.
Alex's wing was beyond stall angle. All it did was create drag, and the illusion that it was functioning.The CR's aero is primarily to decrease drag, rather than increase downforce. While the lip increases downforce in the front (s2ks make downforce in the front stock), the rear wing only reduces lift; there's still a net lift in the rear.To balance the aero, you need a huge splitter, and minimal angle on a voltex. Both need to be adjustable to achieve neutrality, and even then, it will only be perfectly neutral at one velocity. At all others, one will overpower the other.Sure, the mugen wing works on risers, but it's very inefficient. The chord is way too small to work at higher mounting points. Notice how chord gets larger as wings get mounted higher. (oem wing, mugen wing, CR wing, GTC200, Voltex 1S, any Voltex GT wing, all in order of height and chord).
[/quote]

I wouldn't say Alex was beyond stall angle unless you can see it in the wind tunnel with smoke or perhaps a lift curve profile at that angle. I don't disagree on the fact that it is creating a lot of drag (which i did point out to him) but at <10degrees you do increase lift linearly but with a lot of drag (exponentially). Unless the angle was measured, i wouldn't consider it beyond stall (unless he was running like +12degree then yes), didn't look like it to me.

I did not know the CR aero kit was to reduce drag. This net lift you speak of please explain more. I learn something today. Thanks, awesome info.

You're right on with the chord length being short, perhaps added fowler flap will aid (j/k).
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally this is turning into the diuscussion I was looking for lol. My main thing is the cost of the wing vs functionality. I just don't know if there is another wing that is in the same price catagory as the mugen rep that is proven to be functional. I don't think you can touch the APR 200 without risers for less that like 800 bucks can you? And I want to keep the wing on at all times so I don't want anything that will looks to dumb and overkill. Alothought the rest of the looks of my car soom should flow nicely with one. I know someone mentioned the tenzo and it looks like a nice choice too but not sure if any actual R&D was done on that wing. Anyone know the difference in deminsions between the mugen and a apr gtc-200? Maybe the dimension comparisons between other wings?

Also, won't pretty much any wing lose almost all functionality with the top down on track? I know the soft top doesn't give great air flow but it must be better than running top down??

What is a good budget splitter for the front that actually works? The Down Force one looks too small to make any noticeable difference.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM

Gtc generates alot of down force, youd need a large splitter. Honestly, i have the gp fab diffuser, and side peices, i took metal and tapped the inside of wheel well to keep parachute effect down, slightly vented rear bumper, got my wing and i had the apr diffuser but i took it off when i put gracer on. Noticed no change really... between gracer and apr splitter...
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Importedpower
Gtc generates alot of down force, youd need a large splitter. Honestly, i have the gp fab diffuser, and side peices, i took metal and tapped the inside of wheel well to keep parachute effect down, slightly vented rear bumper, got my wing and i had the apr diffuser but i took it off when i put gracer on. Noticed no change really... between gracer and apr splitter...
Mind posting up some pics of your car showing the mods?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as the tenzo goes, not sure about R&D on it, but from my experience I did notice a big difference in the handling of my car at higher speeds. Also FWIW When I went on cruises and was side by side with a friend who has the authentic mugen on the highway, it was pointed out to me by fellow drivers behind me, that mine did not, flex (wiggle) like my friends mugen did.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Humm that's pretty interesting actually. I haven't payed attention but, does the mugen s2k use or has it used the actual mugen wing?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,851 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by drkphnx
as far as the tenzo goes, not sure about R&D on it, but from my experience I did notice a big difference in the handling of my car at higher speeds. Also FWIW When I went on cruises and was side by side with a friend who has the authentic mugen on the highway, it was pointed out to me by fellow drivers behind me, that mine did not, flex (wiggle) like my friends mugen did.
Who's was that?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by drkphnx' timestamp='1333041225' post='21556304
Who's was that?
Andys
Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,851 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by drkphnx
Originally Posted by sam_spider' timestamp='1333049357' post='21556876
[quote name='drkphnx' timestamp='1333041225' post='21556304']
Who's was that?
Andys
[/quote]

His isn't Mugen though.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by drkphnx' timestamp='1333052154' post='21557062
[quote name='sam_spider' timestamp='1333049357' post='21556876']
[quote name='drkphnx' timestamp='1333041225' post='21556304']
Who's was that?
Andys
[/quote]

His isn't Mugen though.
[/quote]

oh I thought it was, well that explains it then Do you know what it is?

edit: Just looked at his pics, I have no idea what I was thinking lmao, not even close to mugen still can't tell what it is tho, APR

Quick Reply: Mugen wing functional at all?