S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mugen wing functional at all?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaotik25
Originally Posted by Importedpower' timestamp='1332941206' post='21551599
Proud to rep FAKE.-Seibon MGI have the risers, and anywhere bellow bout 90mph i can unbolt it and i dont notice any significant difference, if i max out angle you can notice a slightly less loose feel on the rear end if you jerk around a bit. i keep mine on risers but set @ lowest angle unless i plan on doing something stupid.

Do you run with your top on or off? Wow so you can only feel it at >90pmh, that's fast. Becareful and don't get a ticket. Your car looks good btw.

With it being >90mph that's not going to do you much at certain tracks. Any more personal experiences?
i live in the country, NW South Carolina, near the blue ridge area... plenty of open rodes, curves, and no cops. I got this because i felt really loose on the rear end, almost like it was lifting a bit above 65ish, i never have that feeling anymore. i think it helps, it does have the design to be functional. So basicaly, YES, it works, but there are wings that generate a ton more... which there is no way in hell anyone needs it unless you are planning to set records/time attack etc. I am very happy with mine, i can take off risers when i want, and leave it clean and low... or i can lift it up and enjoy it. i got the medium risers, i think some one makes another one for even higher (ie: cars with hardtops).

I NEVER drive top up unless i have to, its always top down. idc if its 40 degrees out, i have a damn heater and i can wear a jacket.

IMO: this is one of the best spoilers for an s2000 because:
Its functional
Its looks like it fits (unlike massive race wings)
Flows with the car
Affordable
Good Quality

Here is a shot of my buddy's car i did for him: theDRIFTER on here (the reason i bought it)
Name:  mikesHDRmain.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  180.3 KB
Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Importedpower' timestamp='1332941206' post='21551599
Proud to rep FAKE.-Seibon MGI have the risers, and anywhere bellow bout 90mph i can unbolt it and i dont notice any significant difference, if i max out angle you can notice a slightly less loose feel on the rear end if you jerk around a bit. i keep mine on risers but set @ lowest angle unless i plan on doing something stupid.

Do you run with your top on or off? Wow so you can only feel it at >90pmh, that's fast. Becareful and don't get a ticket. Your car looks good btw.

With it being >90mph that's not going to do you much at certain tracks. Any more personal experiences?
It also depends on the width (front to back) of the wing and the angle, for mine I felt it gave noticeable down force even at lower speeds, 40mph.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,851 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by drkphnx
Originally Posted by kaotik25' timestamp='1332943461' post='21551749
[quote name='Importedpower' timestamp='1332941206' post='21551599']

It also depends on the width (front to back) of the wing and the angle, for mine I felt it gave noticeable down force even at lower speeds, 40mph.
[/quote]

It's not just the height, it is also the pitch that you have the wing adjusted too. I can notice differences changing the pitch on the wing, I really want to pick up some risers for my next track outing to see how much more of an impact it has.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,851 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Also, keep in mind, you should be running a front splitter of some sort to aid in keeping the nose down, the more downforce you have in the back can fight against you if your nose starts lifting.

This is why the CR's aero is functional, the front and rear work together.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by drkphnx' timestamp='1332949662' post='21552105
[quote name='kaotik25' timestamp='1332943461' post='21551749']
[quote name='Importedpower' timestamp='1332941206' post='21551599']

[/quote]

It's not just the height, it is also the pitch that you have the wing adjusted too. I can notice differences changing the pitch on the wing, I really want to pick up some risers for my next track outing to see how much more of an impact it has.
[/quote]

That's what i meant by angle lol

Also, keep in mind, you should be running a front splitter of some sort to aid in keeping the nose down, the more downforce you have in the back can fight against you if your nose starts lifting.

This is why the CR's aero is functional, the front and rear work together.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drkphnx' timestamp='1332949662' post='21552105
[quote name='kaotik25' timestamp='1332943461' post='21551749'][quote name='Importedpower' timestamp='1332941206' post='21551599']Proud to rep FAKE.-Seibon MGI have the risers, and anywhere bellow bout 90mph i can unbolt it and i dont notice any significant difference, if i max out angle you can notice a slightly less loose feel on the rear end if you jerk around a bit. i keep mine on risers but set @ lowest angle unless i plan on doing something stupid.
Do you run with your top on or off? Wow so you can only feel it at >90pmh, that's fast. Becareful and don't get a ticket. Your car looks good btw.With it being >90mph that's not going to do you much at certain tracks. Any more personal experiences?
It also depends on the width (front to back) of the wing and the angle, for mine I felt it gave noticeable down force even at lower speeds, 40mph.[/quote]It's not just the height, it is also the pitch that you have the wing adjusted too. I can notice differences changing the pitch on the wing, I really want to pick up some risers for my next track outing to see how much more of an impact it has.
[/quote]

Yes the AoA (angle of attack) does have a significant role in downforce but since most GT wing aerofoil are cambered you should see added downforce at zero AoA with minimal drag. With increase in AoA you are also increasing drag, depending on the profile of your aerofoil this drag may not be much but it depends on the profile. I usually like to run zero AoA to minimize drag seen as how my stock engine doesn't produce much power. I have not increase AoA ( pointing down) at the leading edge but Alex Doan did change his wing angle this past weekend at the track and he definitely felt the increase in downforce with negligible drag increase.

Also, keep in mind, you should be running a front splitter of some sort to aid in keeping the nose down, the more downforce you have in the back can fight against you if your nose starts lifting.This is why the CR's aero is functional, the front and rear work together.
Yes I totally agreee with Spider that having rear downforce only may hurt you at the track due to front lift and cause understeer. A well balanced car has to also balance the added downforce front and rear. A front splitter would definitely help or cannards (i run dual cannards) and flat under panel.

I'm liking this discussion guys, keep it going. It's very informative.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i keep putting some thought in the beathrush under tray, but i have the spoon xbrace, not sure if theyd interfere
Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 PM

i'm sure any wing like the mugen will be functional at high speeds. think of the airplane flaps on their wings. they extend downwards to a certain degree to generate lift as the massive engine thrust pushes the plane forward. the rear wings on cars should be the exact opposite where it's kinda tilted up for all designs. do some research on the bernoulli's principle and you'll understand more. i really think a lot of race car downforce technologies came from airplanes. same goes to vortex generators where the point of them is to split air to reduce drag. those were first introduced on airplanes.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Importedpower
i keep putting some thought in the beathrush under tray, but i have the spoon xbrace, not sure if theyd interfere
I'm running the beatrush under tray with the Comptech X-brace and they do not interfere. If i get a chance i'll take some pics.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the AoA (angle of attack) does have a significant role in downforce but since most GT wing aerofoil are cambered you should see added downforce at zero AoA with minimal drag. With increase in AoA you are also increasing drag, depending on the profile of your aerofoil this drag may not be much but it depends on the profile. I usually like to run zero AoA to minimize drag seen as how my stock engine doesn't produce much power. I have not increase AoA ( pointing down) at the leading edge but Alex Doan did change his wing angle this past weekend at the track and he definitely felt the increase in downforce with negligible drag increase.

Originally Posted by sam_spider' timestamp='1332962482' post='21552960
Also, keep in mind, you should be running a front splitter of some sort to aid in keeping the nose down, the more downforce you have in the back can fight against you if your nose starts lifting.This is why the CR's aero is functional, the front and rear work together.
Yes I totally agreee with Spider that having rear downforce only may hurt you at the track due to front lift and cause understeer. A well balanced car has to also balance the added downforce front and rear. A front splitter would definitely help or cannards (i run dual cannards) and flat under panel.

I'm liking this discussion guys, keep it going. It's very informative.
Alex's wing was beyond stall angle. All it did was create drag, and the illusion that it was functioning.

The CR's aero is primarily to decrease drag, rather than increase downforce. While the lip increases downforce in the front (s2ks make downforce in the front stock), the rear wing only reduces lift; there's still a net lift in the rear.

To balance the aero, you need a huge splitter, and minimal angle on a voltex. Both need to be adjustable to achieve neutrality, and even then, it will only be perfectly neutral at one velocity. At all others, one will overpower the other.

Sure, the mugen wing works on risers, but it's very inefficient. The chord is way too small to work at higher mounting points. Notice how chord gets larger as wings get mounted higher. (oem wing, mugen wing, CR wing, GTC200, Voltex 1S, any Voltex GT wing, all in order of height and chord).

Quick Reply: Mugen wing functional at all?