S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mugen wing functional at all?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As large as the CR wing is for something factory, it is still not "enough".

I can't imagine the Mugen wing having any real appreciable effect. Go with the GTC-200 (or larger) if you want something truely functional.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a picture of wind tunnel testing of this wing. You can clearly see that it is actually very effective. Wish I could find the picture. They do indeed test them.

Why spend lots of money on a nice car, only to cheap out, and put fake parts on it? Get authentic, or nothing at all.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GravyRobber
I've seen a picture of wind tunnel testing of this wing. You can clearly see that it is actually very effective. Wish I could find the picture. They do indeed test them.

Why spend lots of money on a nice car, only to cheap out, and put fake parts on it? Get authentic, or nothing at all.
Thanks for the reply. Wish I could find a pic.... yeah I know I should go authentic but, I only paid 15k for my car and most authentic parts are at least 10% of that's cost lol. I buy them where I can but,if I bought all authentic parts my build would take me 100 years lol. Maybe after the military and after college
Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just buy used authentic... I have one for sale right now
Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 AM

How much do they run used? Most people seem to paint them but I prefer the all carbon look personally
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM

Let the guy buy whatever he wants for his car, you don't like fake parts don't buy them. sorry we can't all afford authentic baller parts lol. My mugen style seibon hood does the same thing the mugen one does, sure its heavier but I don't care. My Tenzo wing puts down a lot of downforce, cost me $200 used, and doesn't flex at high speeds. I sold it to a member that tracks his S frequently, after I took it off I noticed a huge difference in handling at higher speeds. Just because it's not authentic doesn't mean it's not quality. A consumer has a choice in what to buy and from whom, there are companies that make cheap crappy parts, but that doesn't mean they all do. Do research on a product and company and make your own decision, don't let others make it for you. If you want functional, looks ok and doesn't cost and arm and a leg look at the tenzo, sorry it's not baller. Here's a pic of the wing on my car, the risers can be made wider.

Link to wing:
http://www.autoaccessorysite.com/ext...enzo_wings.htm
Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cadams05nfr
How much do they run used? Most people seem to paint them but I prefer the all carbon look personally
The authentic Mugen wing is fiberglass with carbon ends... so it has to be painted

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/939...wing-1100-obo/
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

CR wing was mentioned - Anyone compare these side-by-side? Seems like the CR is taller. But, I have heard the CR wing should be used in conjuction with the CR front lip!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a pic of the ASM car wind tunnel smoke test with Mugen hardtop.

It's a good picture showing the separation point of the flow, which to me seems to be 1/2 way down from the roof line. Hence, ASM has their wing height a little higher than that level to avoid full turbulent flow. Which allows the inverted aero-foil to catch somewhat of a more laminar/transition flow and provides consistent positive lift (downforce) - in reference frame of aero-foil.

Anything below 1/2 roof line is just recirculation and mainly turbulent flow. However, this is not as bad as one may think because the turbulent flow over the inverted aero-foil still produce positive lift (downforce), but it's not consistent.

You would rather want clean air over the aero-foil.

BTW i'm an aerospace engineer with a masters degree and 3 yrs of experience (still a noob). So I could be wrong so please correct my wrong.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by drkphnx
Let the guy buy whatever he wants for his car, you don't like fake parts don't buy them. sorry we can't all afford authentic baller parts lol. My mugen style seibon hood does the same thing the mugen one does, sure its heavier but I don't care. My Tenzo wing puts down a lot of downforce, cost me $200 used, and doesn't flex at high speeds. I sold it to a member that tracks his S frequently, after I took it off I noticed a huge difference in handling at higher speeds. Just because it's not authentic doesn't mean it's not quality. A consumer has a choice in what to buy and from whom, there are companies that make cheap crappy parts, but that doesn't mean they all do. Do research on a product and company and make your own decision, don't let others make it for you. If you want functional, looks ok and doesn't cost and arm and a leg look at the tenzo, sorry it's not baller. Here's a pic of the wing on my car, the risers can be made wider.
Hey I can't afford "baller" parts either, so I just don't have them. I'd rather be OEM than fake. To each his own though. The thing is, fake parts are slowly destroying the aftermarket industry. Authentic parts can be had used for a reasonable price. Wouldn't you rather support the company that did all the R&D to bring you a quality part? Or support the company that pays a Chinese child $2/day to crank out a part that is a blatant rip-off of the original? I know there are exceptions, but in general, that is the case.

Sorry to rant, but this stuff just bothers me. I had my fair share of fake parts on my WRX. I regret having ever purchased them. It just felt wrong. Just think, if "company a" spends months or years, and tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars developing a top-notch, quality part, only to have it ripped off and re-sold for 1/4 the price by "company c", do you think they will continue to engineer parts in the future?

Quick Reply: Mugen wing functional at all?