S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mugen Hardtop Rear Window Seal

Old 05-13-2010 | 06:48 PM

Default Mugen Hardtop Rear Window Seal

Hey guys, I'm about to install the rear window on the mugen hardtop.
I'm lost on where and how much glue I need to apply.

The stripping has glue kind of thing inside the gap where the window fits into, but I'm afraid it will still fly out.
Should I glue the glass also?
No post on such thing, so this should help others as well
thx in advance guys!

Red or Purple? Neither? Less?

Old 05-13-2010 | 07:10 PM

hey i work for an auto glass company although Ive never had the chance to do one of these the "glue" on the inside of the strip is to just hold the strip on. You should try and contact a glass manufacture around you and buy some urethane its what we use to hold in windshield its a lifetime bond its legit. Also it doesn't look like a rubber gasket so you'll need to glue the glass in i don't trust anything they give you, its just sketchy and cheap the glue im talking about will prob run you $16 for a tube you'll need a gun to shoot it if you don't have one that will run you maybe 20 25 not to much but if you want it done right that's what id do and maybe just hire someone to do it shouldn't be to bad or at least look at it and tell you what to do since im not there cant really help you out on this one
Old 05-13-2010 | 07:17 PM

I'll be using the 3M Urethane window-weld (pictured) to glue the weatherstripping + window to the hardtop.
Not sure how much glue I need to apply to the weatherstripping+window tho.

I'll take a pic of what the weatherstripping looks like.
Old 05-13-2010 | 07:25 PM

Hey I installed mine myself using that same glue, I had my top on for two months already and drove around 50mph to 60 mph with both windows down and it held up great.

the stripping should already come with glue that holds on to the plexi glass. Try to fit the window with the seal onto the top make sure it fits good. If it does, caulk the glue on the hardtop on the edges where the window seal will meet the top, if you do this right the glue will touch outside of the purple line on your picture. The seal outside of the purple line should fit into the crease on your top.

hope that helps

edit: you should put the glue inside of the crease on your hardtop where the flat edge of the window seal touches the crease on your top
Old 05-13-2010 | 07:29 PM

ah ha! thank you for the info!
So glue should touch the other side of red? and not the window?
Old 05-13-2010 | 07:34 PM

^yes, so the window adhesive will touch the opposite side of the seal with the glue
Old 05-13-2010 | 08:12 PM

ooo got it. thx!
Old 05-14-2010 | 01:03 AM

No prob man,

and also make sure who ever painted your top does a good job at making the paint stick to the fiberglass, or else you might want to sand that area down till the fiberglass so the window adhesive can stick better to your top.
Old 05-14-2010 | 07:12 AM

yeah, he taped the area where adhesive applies to. I'll sand the area before putting on the window. thx again man.
Old 05-14-2010 | 06:08 PM

Err, if this is a genuine Mugen hardtop kit, there is no glue to be applied to fit the rear plexus into place with the hardtop. The kit should include a rope.

On the Japanese instructions, the rope is utilized to be strung around the outer gap layer of the seal. A two person job is best appropriate, lay the plexus in position on the hardtop. The hardtop should be rested on the ground, roof facing upwards not upside down.

One person gets inside the hardtop space, pulls the rope, another person presses down the plexus into position, complete the full round to secure the plexus into place. This is the same method for old school automotive glass.

Quick Reply: Mugen Hardtop Rear Window Seal