S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Mugen Hardtop or Oem Hardtop?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen Hardtop or Oem Hardtop?

i am deciding on which hardtop to get, which one would look better?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

which one do you think looks better?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
which one do you think looks better?
kinda leaning myself towards OEM
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 PM

I prefer my OEM, can't beat the fitment, and they are not produced anymore so they are becoming more valuable.$$$. Although I think the Mugen is better looking, only other hardtop I would consider would have to be a authentic Mugen, hoping the fitment is top quality like OEM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 PM

If you want quality, fitment, and refinement, go for the OEM. If you want lightweight, go for the Mugen.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 3,524 Likes on 2,533 Posts

I've had an oem and recently purchased a Mugen Carbon fiber. Overall I prefer the Mugen carbon fiber but here are some considerations.

I sold my oem to raise funds to put towards the used Mugen CF. The price of a new Mugen is crazy high, they are a bit easier to swallow if you can find a good used one. I think the Mugen is actually a better fitment than oem which is a testament to the Mugen. Overall I like the look of the Mugen better than oem but both are very nice and you can't go wrong either way. The OEM hardtop is really good for the price.

On the interior I much prefer to look at the beautiful carbon fiber of the Mugen, compared to the OEM headliner. Some owners had issues with the oem headliner over time, the Mugen won't have those issues. I find there to be a sound difference between the two hardtops. The OEM hardtop seems to insulate the mechanical noise from the powertrain inside the cabin. The effect is less noticeable with the Mugen and I prefer the overall sound with the Mugen top in place. It is hard to describe unless you experience both tops. I disliked the way the oem hardtop made the mechanical noises inside the cabin more noticeable, though it was very good at reducing exterior road noise compared to the softop (which is why I first bought the oem hardtop).

As far as weight difference I was surprised that the Mugen isn't lighter than it is. With the OEM being made of metal and having a glass window and headliner it manages to be quite light within 10 lbs of the Mugen. I was able to remove the Mugen hardtop single handedly though, I could never have done that with the oem hardtop as I always needed assistance to remove it, I guess the extra 10 lbs makes a difference in that regard.

The Mugen plastic window is harder to maintain due to the possibility of scratching, the oem rear window is easy to clean and maintain. I prefer glass. The OEM defrost is nice to have but I only drive my car in summer months so I wouldn't use the defrost much.

If you have to paint a hardtop the Mugen top is easier to paint compared to an OEM hardtop, less parts to worry about- mainly with the metal mouldings of the oem top.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 PM

its all personal preference. ive had both OEM and Authentic Mugen.

if your car is more stock, oem will fit right in

mugen is more aggressive.

usability, the oem rear glass window is a LOT better, mugen is like having the soft top window.

fitment, they both fit well. never had an issue.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM

OEM >>>
Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go for Mugen...looks better in my opinion
Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chViETnk
its all personal preference. ive had both OEM and Authentic Mugen.

if your car is more stock, oem will fit right in

mugen is more aggressive.

usability, the oem rear glass window is a LOT better, mugen is like having the soft top window.

fitment, they both fit well. never had an issue.
The Mugen can't be worse than the 02+ glass window.. I can't see shit out of mine especially with the wing now..

Quick Reply: Mugen Hardtop or Oem Hardtop?