S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Moddiction Shift Knob Rattle

Old 12-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moddiction Shift Knob Rattle

I recently purchased a Moddiction shift knob and shift extender (basically a metal tube to elevate the knob). I love the setup (feels like a touring car!) but am a bit annoyed by a high rpm rattle that seems to be coming from the knob/extender. The noise seems to be coming from the bit where the knob screws onto the extender. Is there any sort of thick grease or cocking that I can put onto the extender to insulate it from the metal of the knob? There must be a way to address the rattling noise that is caused by two bits of metal that experience a lot of vibration.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you contact moddic thru pm yet? He is always on and very fast response.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 AM

Teflon tape.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey. First of all very sorry about that. Have not heard that before but shouldn't rattle. Would be best if you could try to see if it is coming from shift knob or where the extender meets the oem shifter. If shift knob, the included 2 nuts and washer should help hold the shift knob a little tighter if needed.
If it is coming from where the extender meets the oem shifter a piece of teflon tape should certainly eliminate any sort of high rpm rattle. Shouldn't do that regardless but those could be a very easy fix if that is in case the issue.
So best thing would be if possible when at high rpm's see if you can pinpoint where the rattle is coming from and we can go from there!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike21,Dec 25 2010, 09:38 AM
Teflon tape.
You took the words right out of my fingers.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Thanks for all the responses! I believe the rattle is coming from the part where the knob screws onto the extender (if I shift with just the extender and no knob, there is no noise) . I tried the locking washer, but that only dampens the rattle instead of eliminating it. I will purchase teflon tape and see whether it fixes the problem!