S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Midwest DD Intake?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest DD Intake?

Hey guys just looking for some good advice I live in Missouri and my S2000 is my daily driver year round. Im out there in the pouring rain and some
light snowfalls(anything over 2-3 inches gets little intense with all seasons). After saving some money I decided to shot for in intake. I've done my
research and understand the performance differences between cold air and short ram intakes. Is a cold air intake a definite no for a dd s2000 in the
Midwest? Cold air is defiantly the way to go but not if I run the risk of serious damage every time I drive in rain and hit big puddle(hydro shields
help but I've heard they can only do so much). I would compromise on a short ram if that is my only alternative to stock for shits and grin even
though some claim there more useless than the stock intake system. Whats my best plan of attack here?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:08 PM

I wouldn't think you would run much of a risk of hydrolocking your engine with a CAI. Although it has happened before, its extremely unlikely. Your whole air filter would basically have to be submerged to do any damage. Just dont drive through any rivers or lakes and you should be good.

As for me, I also live in Missouri (St. Louis area), and I went with the K&N FIPK cold air intake. I havent had any problems and I'm happy with it. Power gains are minimal as with any intake on the s2k, but the sound us fantastic and I have noticed a small increase in gas mileage. The K&N does also come with a shield so it's not completely exposed.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 PM

The FIPK doesn't have the air filter down by the wheel does it?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Banned

FIPK... it's up top passenger side, ahead of the engine...

and, if you see the seal they have you install o the k&n sheetmetal thingy, it seals the intake to the front of the car... it just works...

but... the wail is horrendous at wot, but you'll get use to it...
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag528
I wouldn't think you would run much of a risk of hydrolocking your engine with a CAI. Although it has happened before, its extremely unlikely. Your whole air filter would basically have to be submerged to do any damage. Just dont drive through any rivers or lakes and you should be good.
Untrue. It takes 45mL in a cylinder to hydrolock, and as long as water droplets get in and don't get burned off, water will continue to accumulate. And then your motor will come to a violent stop.

I hydrolocked my GSR in not all that much water. I will never put a CAI like that on a car again.

My vote would be the FIPK or Comptech/CT.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:16 AM

I think that might be the best choice because on the rare chance something did happen I don't have any disposable income to pore
into the car. The paranoia of risking the most expensive thing I've ever purchased just to get a few extra horses and a more
efficient intake system compared to the fipk or comptech. At 21 years old hydro locking my only car would be catastrophic for me.
Unless some dd in Missouri with a cai says there's really not issue until the filter is dam near submerged in water than
ill probably have to take the safe route and go more for sound than performance. I like the comptech set up it just seems
obnoxiously expensive for what it is. Opinions???
Old 01-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Just buy the K&N intake, it's cheap, the install is easy, and it pretty much fills in the gap where the OEM intake used to be. As far as performance goes, it will do just as fine as any other intake out right now. If you want to get fancy you can purchase an AUT cooling plate which will help feed air the the intake. Here is a picture of my car when I was running the K&N:

Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Sweet sounds legitimate.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

K&N fipk vote from me as well. Used to have one when NA and loved it!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T-ravS2k&VFRs
Is a cold air intake a definite no for a dd s2000 in the Midwest? Cold air is defiantly the way to go but not if I run the risk of serious damage every time I drive in rain and hit big puddle(hydro shields help but I've heard they can only do so much).
I wouldn't say anything's definite as you're assuming. I doubt you get more rain/ponding/flooding then we do down here on the gulf plain and I run a CAI as do others around here. Hydrolock's certainly a risk but in my experience not an issue if you don't foolishly plow through standing water (which is a bad idea even if you don't have a CAI but easier said than done depending on visibility) & plug the fender hole and/or use an umbrella. It's your call as to how much of a risk you're willing to take.

Originally Posted by PeterBinSDs2k
but... the wail is horrendous at wot, but you'll get use to it...
I wouldn't put it that way. The wail is why I hit WOT and suffer worse MPG's. Definitely not "used to it". That would be disappointing.

Originally Posted by T-ravS2k&VFRs
I think that might be the best choice because on the rare chance something did happen I don't have any disposable income to pore into the car.
Definitely worth considering.

Quick Reply: Midwest DD Intake?