S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Megan Racing coilovers

Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Megan Racing coilovers

hey, i would like to buy a set of megan racing coilovers. that being the case, it is a hard decision to make to go either track or street because they cost about the same or maybe a $50 difference. i was wondering which one would be best for me. i do not track the car and it is my daily driver. i do go on some mountain tours and i would love a better ride. i do want something still soft when i dd, but when i'm on those mountains or tours i would love to hug the road and drive on rails. i was wondering if the track would be too stiff on the lowest setting for the street or is the street the way to go? all opinions are good but please no flamers!

thanks

alan
Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do not track the car, so why would you want track spec?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 AM

well they cost the same as the street version. i was just thinking why get the street version when the track cost the same. would the race spec handle better than the street? i would think so, so why would someone get the street version when they can get the track version that cost the same?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a little difference between the two. It has to do more with the valving of the damper and the tracks have stiffer rear springs. I had the streets and went to the tracks and I prefer the tracks. The S is my dd as well. I currently have the tracks set up at 4 and 5, front and rear, respectively. 0 is the stiffest. The spring rates will make your AP2 handle like an AP1, so don't push too hard or you may be feeling snap oversteer unexpectedly.

EDIT: Here is something directly from Megan Racing:
"Note: Although the spring rates are similar to that of the "Street Series" kit, the construction of the Damper itself is constructed in a different manner for a stiffer ride and is tuned for extreme use where comfort is compromised in favor of performance"
Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the streets set at 15 all around and they almost ride like stock. At 1-5, the ride does get pretty stiff if that's what you're looking for.

With the streets as well, it oversteers now. If I really push it around a corner, I'll have to countersteer to keep the back from coming around. This may have to do partially with the alignment.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM

I have the track's set at 10 all around.

I would get the tracks over the street. For a minimal amount of $$ you have fliexibility in case you ever want to auto x or track the car, you never know.

I rode on the softest settings for a while, a lot softer than stock, and the setting now is a little stiffer than stock. I have a mind to just dial it in to the hardest setting, I don't mind a harsh ride.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 AM

^Dooo eeeeet! Stiff but feels so right.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 PM

lol, track spec.. i wouldn't bother buying megan when it comes to something like springs. They have no r&d just generic multi platform built coilovers.

really just wasting you're money and making yourself look foolish.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by menkio,Feb 27 2009, 11:43 PM
lol, track spec.. i wouldn't bother buying megan when it comes to something like springs. They have no r&d just generic multi platform built coilovers.

Illuminating. Thank you for sharing.

Now, on to some actual information in a non-foolish format:

I have the BC Racing coilovers (available through rijowysock), which is the company that makes the Megan and A'pexi coilovers. The BC Racing coilovers comes with 12k springs, but I ordered mine with 10k. I don't know what is comparable to the Megan coilovers, but I'd really recommend the ones I have. Good ride on the street, a little firmer than stock, but not punishing. They hold their own on the track as well.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by menkio,Feb 27 2009, 08:43 PM

do you own some? it seem that those who have them love them, and those who only heard of them and never own them hate them?

Quick Reply: Megan Racing coilovers