S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Lowering Springs A Problem?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec9
You can rent a spring compressor from any standard auto store. I wouldn't tackle the job alone without it. Two people certainly can though.

Overall the job is not difficult, and definitely "worth it". Should only take a couple hours.

Preloading is for the bushings, not the springs or shocks. You want to preload the corner to a height at, or slightly above, where the suspension will sit once on the ground. I preload with the other 3 corners on the ground to mimic the correct load. I try to jack up the one corner to slightly above where it would sit while on the ground. You can make a reference mark on your body (with tape) before jacking the car up to ensure you preload to at least that height. When installing lowering springs, you need to preload even higher since again, you want the preload height to mimic what the ride height WILL be when it sits on the ground.

The best method would be to lower the car to the ground, then tighten everything, but it can be difficult to get your hands in there.
I rented my spring compressor from I think an advance autoparts. Pretty much went in said I needed one they scanned it up and you will pay full price but bring it back when you are done and they give your money back.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you don't preload correctly, would that cause squeaking noises from the suspension by chance?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM

I am not too positive, but when it comes to my car I rather be safe than sorry.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have never needed a spring compressor for S2000 springs. They are under very little compression in the stock damper assemblies.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2cho
I honestly wouldnt even do it, but it depends on your "wants" for your car. Dont take my post to heart its your car and you should do what you want. Springs were my worst mod ever. Screw springs and go straight to coils if your planning on getting coil overs. Coils are 100% easier to install. Its basically the same process but you just take off the strut and then replace it with the coil and no taking off a spring and loading it. But yes do be careful taking off the lower control arm bolt. Mine cross threaded due to some jack off over tightening it. That bolts 15 bucks.. lol
Worst mod ever?

Inexpensive, easy to install, looks good, and perfectly fine handling characteristics for a street car.. I've been lowered on springs for 130k+ of my cars 177k life, and original shocks are still kicking.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 AM

It definitely depends on the spring. I recently installed Swift Sport springs and couldn't be happier. Basically rides like stock, isn't too low, but I can definitely tell they are progressive rate under load. We'll see how they compare to stock when I get it back out on the track, but I'm pretty happy with them.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GravyRobber
It definitely depends on the spring. I recently installed Swift Sport springs and couldn't be happier. Basically rides like stock, isn't too low, but I can definitely tell they are progressive rate under load. We'll see how they compare to stock when I get it back out on the track, but I'm pretty happy with them.

This.

Same setup, breeze to install.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Have the Spoon springs on order. A local shop is quoting me $155 to install, is it worth just taking it to them? Haven't dived in to the car per se yet, and the last thing I need is a bolt stripping etc. Only thing holding me back is that I don't know if they will pre-load etc. or just slap them on...
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM

Just slap them on. It can be done in 2-3 hours if you've never done it, even less with an experienced set of hands to help. As far as pre-load, don't fret over it...just jack it up until it just starts to come off the jack stand, then torque the bolts. Easy as pie.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec9
Originally Posted by s2cho' timestamp='1366824070' post='22496325
I honestly wouldnt even do it, but it depends on your "wants" for your car. Dont take my post to heart its your car and you should do what you want. Springs were my worst mod ever. Screw springs and go straight to coils if your planning on getting coil overs. Coils are 100% easier to install. Its basically the same process but you just take off the strut and then replace it with the coil and no taking off a spring and loading it. But yes do be careful taking off the lower control arm bolt. Mine cross threaded due to some jack off over tightening it. That bolts 15 bucks.. lol
Worst mod ever?

Inexpensive, easy to install, looks good, and perfectly fine handling characteristics for a street car.. I've been lowered on springs for 130k+ of my cars 177k life, and original shocks are still kicking.
Springs were MY worst mod ever. That is what I said. I went with tein springs and my wheel gap was still a sore eye. The ride was worse than stock and the handling was sub par from stock. I ended up going with coils so i could have just skipped the install and install coils which are so much easier than springs. I did not say that is the worst mod ever. I said thats MY worst mod ever, so please read then post.