S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Lowering Springs A Problem?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering Springs A Problem?

Ok guys, so I have decided to put lowering springs on my 01 S2K. I have done a ton of research about installing them. I seems easy, but after talking to my buddy when he was putting my new tires on, he said I was a pain in the ass and not worth it. I was looking for some opinions, suggestions and experiences. Is it as much of a pain as he says or is it as easy as it seems? I am planning on doing it myself.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't listen to him.. It's pretty straight forward and well worth it..
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks easy. The only 2 things that worry me are compressing the springs and removing the top hat nut. I only have hand tools so hopefully the top hat nut isnt on there too bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure u spray some wd40 or pb blaster to the bolt on the bottom of the shock cause I tends to seize
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K_Vtec
It looks easy. The only 2 things that worry me are compressing the springs and removing the top hat nut. I only have hand tools so hopefully the top hat nut isnt on there too bad.
If you don't have a compressor you're at least going to need another set of hands.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Had a quick question on this, as far as preloading the suspension, how far would one jack the disc up to pre-load it? so that the top hat fits snug in the shock well?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Had a quick question on this, as far as preloading the suspension, how far would one jack the disc up to pre-load it? so that the top hat fits snug in the shock well?
Until the car is lifted off the jackstands when you jack it up.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Wouldn't that mean that the spring is then at near full compression? If this is true, (the spring at rest (car on the ground) is not at near full compression) using the method above wouldn't really make any difference as the suspension is not in a neutral state, or do you want it almost fully compressed?

I guess I fail to see what preloading the suspension will accomplish?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can rent a spring compressor from any standard auto store. I wouldn't tackle the job alone without it. Two people certainly can though.

Overall the job is not difficult, and definitely "worth it". Should only take a couple hours.

Preloading is for the bushings, not the springs or shocks. You want to preload the corner to a height at, or slightly above, where the suspension will sit once on the ground. I preload with the other 3 corners on the ground to mimic the correct load. I try to jack up the one corner to slightly above where it would sit while on the ground. You can make a reference mark on your body (with tape) before jacking the car up to ensure you preload to at least that height. When installing lowering springs, you need to preload even higher since again, you want the preload height to mimic what the ride height WILL be when it sits on the ground.

The best method would be to lower the car to the ground, then tighten everything, but it can be difficult to get your hands in there.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I honestly wouldnt even do it, but it depends on your "wants" for your car. Dont take my post to heart its your car and you should do what you want. Springs were my worst mod ever. Screw springs and go straight to coils if your planning on getting coil overs. Coils are 100% easier to install. Its basically the same process but you just take off the strut and then replace it with the coil and no taking off a spring and loading it. But yes do be careful taking off the lower control arm bolt. Mine cross threaded due to some jack off over tightening it. That bolts 15 bucks.. lol

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs A Problem?